rem 700 problem, need options

I had the exact same problem a couple years ago. I spent about $200 on ammo components trying different loads and bullets but nothing close to a 4" group at 100. Tried all the things mentioned here with no luck and velocities that were 350 fps less than they should be and capped out even with different powder charges. Put in a new stock and trigger and still no fix. Sent it back to Remington and they gave me a new barreled action. Since a return sounds like no option for you, just build off of it.

1. Change the scope! Try another scope to see if that is it. You would be surprised how many times that is it.

2. Borescope the chamber and bore at a gunsmith.

3. Try a simple recrown first.

4. Have the gunsmith check the bedding for stress free. Chances are you might have something touching/dragging somewhere.

I bought a Remington 700 ADL from Walmart a few years for like $380, and figured it was cheaper to buy the whole gun than a remington action for $500.

I put some shells through it see if it would shoot and I had the same problem. I was lucky to hit a paper plate at 50 yards.

I had a good gunsmith look at it and he said the barrel had a loose bore, which means that the rifling didn't extend down all the way like a quality barrel would, it just didn't have enough material to grab onto the bullet and make it spin for accuracy.

I put a benchmark barrel on it and now it's a laser. I cut apart and did several modifications on the factory stock, added carbon shafts for stability, bedded the barrel lug, and the tang, had the same gunsmith work on the trigger, and lighten it up a bit, added a good scope and base on it.

Now I have a 1/2 MOA or better gun with nearly all factory Remington parts. The funniest part is the stock, it's the mossy oak cammo, but is as sturdy as a B&C.

I bought a Remington 700 ADL from Walmart a few years for like $380, and figured it was cheaper to buy the whole gun than a remington action for $500.

I put some shells through it see if it would shoot and I had the same problem. I was lucky to hit a paper plate at 50 yards.

I had a good gunsmith look at it and he said the barrel had a loose bore, which means that the rifling didn't extend down all the way like a quality barrel would, it just didn't have enough material to grab onto the bullet and make it spin for accuracy.

I put a benchmark barrel on it and now it's a laser. I cut apart and did several modifications on the factory stock, added carbon shafts for stability, bedded the barrel lug, and the tang, had the same gunsmith work on the trigger, and lighten it up a bit, added a good scope and base on it.

Now I have a 1/2 MOA or better gun with nearly all factory Remington parts. The funniest part is the stock, it's the mossy oak cammo, but is as sturdy as a B&C.

With a little know-how, time, a few good parts, some engineering, and some elbow grease, you can make a stock Rem 700 a real shooter. All my customs have worked-over stock Rem barrels (all are repurposed Sendero barrels, except 1) and blueprinted 700 actions, and they all shoot 1/2 MOA or better, and I can build 3 semi-custom 1/8-1/2 MOA shooters (not including optics) for what 1 full-custom will cost (rifle only).

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.