Ejection problem need help.

Parkerb14

Ok guys, I have a 700 22-250 that has started to have some issues ejecting cases. It will pull them out of the barrel, but when the bolt gets back to where they should eject, a lot of the cases will just drop straight down to the magazine. This is old brass, probably eight reloads. I just bought new brass and some of them do it also. Is there something I need to do to help this problem, has cost me a couple doubles on coyotes.

Check your ejector. It sounds like possibly your plunger may have gotten stuck back inside the hole. I see quite often that if the spring gets rusty and collects field debris the plunger can often quite stuck back inside the hole. Hold your bolt in a padded vise jaw and nock out the retainer pin with a 1/16' punch. Put your thumb over the bolt face when you pull the punch back out so the ejector doesn't go flying. If after you pull the punch out the ejector doesn't fling forward into your thumb then that's more than likely your problem. You'll need to squirt a little penetrating oil down inside the hole and tap the bolt nose on a piece of wood to get the plunger out. If the plunger comes out fine chances are the spring is rusted fast and will be a real pain in the *** to get out. I ground a little hook on the tip from a bent pin punch and use that to catch the spring and rip it out. Clean the hole out, replace with a new spring ( possible ejector too) and you should be back in order.

Ok, so I finally got some days off to work on the gun. The spring and plunger are fine even gave it some rem oil for good measure. After closer inspection however, it seems that the cases are getting prematurely "kicked". It kicks the cases when they are still half way in the chamber. If I pull the bolt back really fast it seems to work fine about 50% of the time. What do I do now?

It's tough to say for sure with out playing with it myself, but if the case is coming off the ejector before the case completely clears the chamber it sounds as if the bolt face diameter is a bit too large and the case is slipping out from under the extractor. Has it always done this from day 1? It could possibly even be a partially broken extractor. If you'd like to send it out I'd be glad to take a look at it for you, just too hard to diagnose without seeing it first hand.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.