rem 700 problem, need options

I hate it when I come across a troublesome rifle. I consult my check list to remind me what to do:

Check front action screw hole for bedding material or bottoming out (in some rifle models)

leupold windage style base windage screws not tight

Forward most scope base screw touching threads of barrel..

imperfection in crown

action screw holes in wood stock too small, drill larger so sides of action screw won't touch

Bolt handle touching stock

Mag box must not bind

Recoil lug making early contact in bottom of bedded slot causing the action to sit off bedding

Front of trigger group must not touch stock

Trigger guard must not touch trigger

Uneven bedding (note if it isn't bedded get it bedded!) tightening one action screw to see if the action pulls up at other end.

Use bore scope to inspect barrel for flaws or poor crown. My gunsmith showed me a Rem barrel with a missing piece of the lands, in the middle of the barrel, that was over 1/4" long!

Inspect fired case to see if it is concentric and true, could have bad chamber

---------
let us know what you discover.

Led Sled...... These contraptions will wreck a scope. Have u ever shot it without the sled? If not why? That answer will prob help. JMO

Led Sled...... These contraptions will wreck a scope. Have u ever shot it without the sled? If not why? That answer will prob help. JMO

See OP's response in #4. I have the original lead sled and have been using it for a while now without any issues. When used properly, it can be an effective tool at home and at the range.

Vortex scope plus mulitple shots using the lead sled.....bad combination. Send the scope back to Vortex and have them check it.

I'm buying new scope rings today and hopefully that helps. I've had a few people shoot my rifle and everyone is stumped.

My $$$ would be scope but I still wouldn't sink a ton of $$$ into anything shooting a 15MOA group with out an idea of WHY. The only 1 ft groups I have seen involved a 204 w 55 gr Bergers and a 12 twist. I would have an aneurism at 2 MOA. A volleyball??????? Uhhhhh I can shoot a group better than that at 90 yds with my Frankenbow in a lot of wind half drunk.
Something is insanely wrong and I would wanna know what it was before I threw good $$$$ after bad.

Very liitle chance that it is your rings.
Very good chance it is your scope.
Put on a scope that you know to be good and shoot it, with out the sled.

Thanks for the response.
I'm going to go through this list and see if I can identify the issue.

I hate it when I come across a troublesome rifle. I consult my check list to remind me what to do:

Check front action screw hole for bedding material or bottoming out (in some rifle models)

leupold windage style base windage screws not tight

Forward most scope base screw touching threads of barrel..

imperfection in crown

action screw holes in wood stock too small, drill larger so sides of action screw won't touch

Bolt handle touching stock

Mag box must not bind

Recoil lug making early contact in bottom of bedded slot causing the action to sit off bedding

Front of trigger group must not touch stock

Trigger guard must not touch trigger

Uneven bedding (note if it isn't bedded get it bedded!) tightening one action screw to see if the action pulls up at other end.

Use bore scope to inspect barrel for flaws or poor crown. My gunsmith showed me a Rem barrel with a missing piece of the lands, in the middle of the barrel, that was over 1/4" long!

Inspect fired case to see if it is concentric and true, could have bad chamber

---------
let us know what you discover.

Very liitle chance that it is your rings.
Very good chance it is your scope.
Put on a scope that you know to be good and shoot it, with out the sled.

+1 on that.

I bought a used Ruger a few years ago, put a brand new scope on it, and it did the exact same thing.
I took it to a gunsmith who cut and recrowned the barrel.
It still shot 6" groups at 100 yards.
Long story short, after spending a ton of time and frustration doing just what you've been doing I swapped the new scope out for an old 4x Lyman scope laying around.
Just like that, 1"- 1 1/2" groups.

Good luck, hope you find the problem soon!

Ron

Ok so I bought a Remington 700 long range 300 win mag last year. Hasn't ever shot right since I got it. Tried different calibers and different shooters and still no luck. At 90 yards I'm shooting a volleyball size group shooting from a lead sled.

I've been considering a few options. Since I went and threaded my barrel I can not call Remington and ask for warranty (gun shot like crap before threading barrel) I went in to Sportsman's warehouse and held a Christensen Arms Carbon Classic and now I can't stop thinking I need a light rifle for packing up and down the mountain. Already planning my 2017 elk hunt.

So.... here if my thoughts. (Also realize that is like a 1-2 year goal) I want a carbon fiber barrel. Been looking at proof. If I go that route I'm pretty sure I will need different stock. My bro-in-law thinks I can just machine out my rem 700LR stock to accept the different barrel. That would be a cheaper option. However, makes me nervous I would ruin a perfectly good stock. If not, I'm looking at a McMillan stock(game warden, adjustable or non adjustable ... not decided) proof and However at that point.... buy another action and trigger and it's a whole new gun.... and I'm still stuck with a Rem 700 that won't shoot worth a ****.
I could rebuild my Rem with a completely different caliber and build my deer rifle but what caliber do I go with on a long action mag that would be a good opion.

I wanted a Christensen arms classic II 6.5 creedmoor before all this mess but I have a crap gun I have to do something with before I move to the next caliber. Waste money building my next 2 rifles if I can utilize what I have.

The main goal after all of this is to end up with 2 light weight hunting rifles. One for big game gun and another for deer rifle.
Why did you have the barrel threaded when you knew it had a problem already?

Keep what you have and use it to build something else off of and at least you will be that far ahead.

Had some similar results with a 700 lr. After checking action and mount screws, bedding and installing an aftermarket trigger it still shot about 2" groups at 100 yards whith several different round combinations. When cleaning after each session there was always extremely heavy copper fouling. Finally after reading some good advise on here about barrel polishing, I used JB bore polish. Did the trick with .5" groups now the norm. Shoots better than I'd ever hoped with very considerably less fouling.

Take it to a gunsmith. If you have already eliminated the ammo. My experience with poor grouping is the twist rate not stabilizing a heavy round. Try lighter bullets to see if it improves.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.