Reloading set-up for beginner

Washout

I've decided to take the recommendations of the groupe here and start reloading for myself. As I looked at the starter kits out there I saw too many things that I wanted like electronic scales that were not in the kits. I decided to comply a list of components for myself and make you own starter kit. Would you guys mind looking over my list and let me know if I'm making any mistakes or leaving anything out that I should have?. All components are RCBS.

1. Rock Chucker supreme press
2. Competition reloadind dies .270
3. Debur tool - Case
4. Flash Hole debur tool
5. Primer pocket uniformer - large rifle
6. Primer pocket brush
7. Powder trickler
8. Shell holder #3
9. Electronic Scale - Rangemaster 750
10.Reloading tray
11.Case Trimmer - Pro Trimmer Kit
12.Ammo Boxes - 4
13.RCBS Digital caliper
14.Hand primer tool
15. Case lube Kit
16. Kinetic bullet puller

Regards,
Gregg

what are you going to throw the powder with? I saw a trickler, but no thrower

1. Rock Chucker supreme press... yep
2. Competition reloadind dies .270... maybe...
3. Debur tool - Case... yep
4. Flash Hole debur tool... uh huh
5. Primer pocket uniformer - large rifle... definately
6. Primer pocket brush... nope, just use the uniformer... it works better anyway.
7. Powder trickler... yep, but the Hornady is just as good, and several $ cheaper.
8. Shell holder #3... Just order a whole set from Lee, and be done with it.
9. Electronic Scale - Rangemaster 750... yep
10.Reloading tray... What kind? mtm is good
11.Case Trimmer - Pro Trimmer Kit... yep
12.Ammo Boxes - 4
13.RCBS Digital caliper... maybe, you can probably get the same micrometer for less locally.
14.Hand primer tool... Definately... and the same shell holders above will fit.
15. Case lube Kit... yep, or a can of one shot... black can, not red
16. Kinetic bullet puller... definately.
Id suggest you lok seriously at the kits from RCBS, as it will save you a few dollars over buying the individual pieces, just augment the kit with the remaining items from above. Some additions might include...
Load manuals, load manuals, a big stack of spiral notebooks, catologes from every reloading product mfg's you can get ahold of... Redding, RCBS, LEE, forester and on and on.

If you are planning on FL sizing, or partial FL resizing, you might also look at the various bushing dies... definately the bset choice today. A lee collet die, and a redding body die will get you the same adjustability for a few dollars less, if you don't mind an extra operation.

A stony point comparitor and headspace gauge set for those calipers will also come in handy.

It seems my stuck case remover get used more than it should and as far a bullet puller goes the RCBS die type works better than the plastic pounder. I just discover this forum,my 1st post. Jim

Washout,
Dont buy the RCBS digital vernier it will be sub standard and over priced for what it is, buy one from a reputable measuring equipment manufacturer, namely Mitutoyo, Moore and Wright or Starrett.

Ian.

"I meant to shoot the oike but the duck got in the way"

Thanks for all the input guys, I'm amending my list as your suggestions come in. I do a bit of machine work and agree that there are probably better digital calipers than RCBS. It's always hard to be starrett.

Gregg

Excellent reading Dan, Thanks. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif It does raise a question in my mind though. How many here feel that a beam scale is more accurate than a sub 100.00 dollar electonic scale? I am considering the RCBS Rangemaster 750 at 95 bucks. Am I wasting my money?

Gregg

Just my opinion (as you already know) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif but if I had 100 bucks to drop on a scale I'd look at the RCBS 1010 beam scale.

I've had a couple lower cost electronic scales and have found that they can drift off zero in the middle of a string of reloading. If they're battery powered, the battery can drain and cause problems. If they are powered by a power supply, unless that's a fairly pricy well regulated supply, normal voltage fluctuations on the AC house current might even cause drift.

There are good electronic scales out there, but the cost is prohibitive for some of us (me included). /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Dan

Dan,
You'll be happy to hear I spoke with my brother this afternoon and remembered to ask his opinion of the beam scale vs. the electronic. He's been reloading for 20+ years for himself and a few friends. He agrees with you that the beam scale is dead on accurate and not prone to the problems with losing the zero. You may wonder why I didn't just ask him what to buy for my reloading setup. He's been doing it for a long time and I just wanted to be sure that I kept up with the latest trends in reloading. We are also separated by 1100 miles so it makes it a little hard to just drop in and see his setup.

Thanks again to all of you who have given me ideas for my reloading bench.

Regards,
Gregg

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.