Getting set up for reloading...help?!

Tkeslar

Hey guys and gals...this is my first post on your great board. I've gotten a ton of useful info from all of y'all. I've decided to take the plunge into reloading and know little to nothing about it. What are the basic necessities I need to get going? And what manufacturers do y'all recommend for presses, dies, and etc.? I've got a Remington cdl in .257 weatherby, a sako a7 in 300wsm, and a tikka t3 lite in 30 06 that I want to work up loads for. Thanks in advance for the help!

The one book that I would recommend that I think would help answer allot of your questions is THE ABC'S OF RELOADING....As fare as dies and press, I like the RCBS Rock Chucker press,and I use both Rcbs and Lee dies....Also get some reloading manuals..Start low and work up your loads...I was like you I read topics on different sites and taught myself how to reload.

Tk , plus 1 on Hotdogs advice . I might add , go to a big Gun Show and pick up a few used Reloading Manuals and really READ them cover to cover . A used RCBS or Redding Press and their associated Dies is a good place to start either by buying at a Show or start scanning the Internet Classifieds . You will never wear out a good heavy duty Press . I don't like buying used Powder throwers . The Lee is a good start or go to a Redding BR . You will need a Powder Scale too . Here again , I would buy new . A mechanical like the RCBS is a good start . There are all sorts of other things you will need such as Verniers , etc. to pick up as you go along . Make a list from the Items described in the Loading Manuals . The very best start out advice I can give is to make friends at the Shooting Range with an experienced Reloader . Watch the guys who are shooting small Groups , make friends , and ask if someone will mentor you . Watching an experienced Reloader for a few hours will save you a ton of grief and clear up something which at first seems complicated . Then be prepared to spend more Bucks as you continually upgrade . Luck !

Last edited:
Thanks a ton guys....got "The ABC's of Reloading" ordered and headed to the house. I really appreciate all the info. Now I'm scouring the Internet for good deals on everything. Take care!

ABCs of Reloading was my first reloading book. Pick up reloading manuals for the calibers you want to load that has the data for the bullet/powders you want.

If you have someone local that can show you the ropes and help you get your gear set up, that's a plus. Learning to do it on your own with someone there to assist or answer questions is better than having someone do it for you.

Also, if you have anyone who can help you with their experience loading the calibers you're looking at, that's a plus. This person might have a chronograph they'll let you shoot over to get velocity readings.

There are quite a few things that don't come with the basic kits that are very handy and sometimes necessary (case trimmers, calipers, digital scales, etc).

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.