Getting set up.....opinions?

JL523

Hi all.....

Since I got started in longrange benchrest shooting, a friend of mine has been loading my ammo for me. Reloading is something I have wanted to get into for many years, but always put it off. Well, I figured now would be a good time to start.....so I can load my benchrest ammo myself.

I originally planned on getting the Master Supreme kit from RCBS, but I didn't like the fact that the first thing I would be doing was adding electronic scales, etc. Then, I saw that Cabelas had another RCBS kit that includes the electronic scales, Chargemaster 1500, the Trim Pro kit, Universal Hand Priming tool, the Rockchucker press, and a few other things. They are selling this kit for $700. I had planned on getting this kit until yesterday......

I read on here that many said you are better off buying components individually. If I do this, I am thinking about the Forster Co-axial press.....probably still the Chargemaster 1500 combo, some sort of trimmer...etc.

Which route should I take? Also, do I need a priming tool with the Forster Press?

Oh....I'll mainly be loading: 6x47 Lapua, 30-378 WBY, 300 WBY, 257 WBY, 243 Win, and maybe 22-250 (assuming I get one).

Please let me know what I should do...

Thanks in advance!!

If I had to start again with no equipment, here is what I would get (it's close to what I've ended up with after 35 years of reloading).

Redding UltraMag press.
ultramag.html
Forster Case trimmer + (collet and mandrel kit)
Original Case Trimmer Kit w/ Pilots & Collets - Forster Products
RCBS Chargemaster
Lee Auto Prime (hand prime) + holder kit
Lee Precision, Inc. Reloading Tools and Equipment: Priming Tools and Shellholders
Digital calipers (with auto off so batteries will last)
Hornady LNL headspace gage kit
https://www.hornady.com/shop/?ps_session=4faaf48c031e4a13e963722f1446632c&page=shop%2Fbrowse&category_id=4ffc0a8772783e83440ac87ed0c3ee5b
Hornady Bullet comparator kit
https://www.hornady.com/shop/?ps_se...&category_id=ed0a24f7da507b583bac1a8d6e16635b
Sinclair VLD debur tool
- Sinclair VLD Chamfering Tool
Sinclair primer pocket uniformer
Primer Pocket Tools
Sinclair flash hole deburring tool
Flash Hole Deburring Tools - Gen II FlashHole Tool w/ Handle
Forster case chamfer tool (to debur the outside of neck after trimming)
Deburring Tools

You'd need to add shell holders and dies.

That would be the kit I would put together.

AJ

Don't get anything without a plan.. You intend to reload for competition, right?
A very good place to start:
Pick up & read 'Handloading for Competition', then go from there knowing what you're doing.
Google Superior Shooting Systems - David Tubb

Last edited:
I missed that you said Benchrest, I think those guys do a bunch of 'different' things, including fairy dust and hand dies. I second the recommendation of getting the Zediker book about reloading for competition.

I'd post on the BR sites and see what the bench resters do.

AJ

The guy that has been loading for me is using a Forster or Redding press.......but can't remember which one. Another buddy of ours uses a RCBS RC. I think I'll probably be ok no matter which way I go. I win my first 1000 match last weekend.....and my buddy that loads my shells isn't "crazy" particular like some of the BR guys!! Lol!!

With that being said.....is the Redding a lot better press than the Forster.....or should I maybe just start with RCBS?

Thanks!!

I haven't used the Redding (I have a couple RCBS presses), but I reload some long rounds (338 Edge and 338 Allen Mag), so like the size of the Redding Ultramag and have heard good reports to it's strength and straightness. I seem to remember that someone had clearance problems with one of the Coax style presses when they used a Micrometer seating die (real long) for one of the large cartridges. The Coax handle goes over the top of the die. I can't remember if it was the current Coax press or a previous similar press.

AJ

I'm on Forster's website now. They say it has 1 1/2" more clearance than the previous model. I'm kinda liking the looks/sounds of this press.

I'm on Forster's website now. They say it has 1 1/2" more clearance than the previous model. I'm kinda liking the looks/sounds of this press.

I'm sure it's a great press, just make sure it will clear the top of any die you ever intend to use. You grip the handle higher than other presses, so the ergonomics of it are a bit different.

I don't believe you can reload super big cartridges on it 50bmg, Allen Mags etc., since it doesn't accept a larger bushing. Only 7/8" x 14 dies can be used with it I believe.

AJ

They sell shellholder jaws that will accept the 30-378.....and that's about as big as I need to go. Famous last wordsn right? Lol!!

The better choice in presses is between Redding and Forster. RCBS doesn't need to enter into your picture. Both the UltraMag and the Co-Ax have unique ergonomics. Redding's Big Boss and T-7 turret will also handle the larger cases. Try to use any that appeal to you before buying. If you load from a seated position, ergonomics is a definite issue. One of them will want to follow you home; any will serve your needs.

Many like the Wilson trimmer. You may want to consider it.

Get the Sinclair catalog. Also, Imperial sizing wax. It and the Zediker book are available from Sinclair.

Thanks for all the help guys! I really appreciate it.

Winchester - Sinclair is great! I have definitely become a frequent shopper since I started BR shooting. I will probably get a lot of my stuff from there. I may start with the book that you and others have suggested.

Thanks again!

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.