Dream reloading set up?

kdumph

I'm starting from scratch, sold all my reloading stuff about 5 years ago after I came into the service. The reloading set up was very meh, a lee kit and then whatever else I needed. I was hoping to gleam some advice on favorites for some moderate reloading.
Majority of reloading will be for 7mm rem mag, and .338, but also pistol rounds and perhaps a few small varmint rounds down the road.

So basically I'm asking for what are all your favorite tools? By line item would be even better;)
Press?
Scale?
Powder trickler?
Priming tool?
Prep work tools?
Caliper?
Things I'm forgetting ?

Here's my dream setup (which is my actual setup)...

RCBS Rock Chucker Supreme IV press (which has a priming tool built in)
RCBS Charge Master 1500 automated powder measure
RCBS dies
Lyman hand powered case trimmer
Starrett 799 caliper
Hornady Comparator kit (for caliper)
RCBS reloading trays
Frankford Arsenal ammo boxes
Hornady Lock N' Load Magnum Sonic Cleaner w/ Hornady sonic brass solution
RCBS tumbler
RCBS universal decapping/depriming dies
RCBS Collet Puller w/ proper size collets
RCBS powder funnel

Get yourself some reloading manuals for the different brands of bullets you plan on shooting.

Get the proper powders you plan on shooting.

heres mine. Swap out those 3 hornady lnls for 1050s and id be there.

Attachments

• 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    145.8 KB · Views: 65
  • 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    148.9 KB · Views: 90
  • 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    159.9 KB · Views: 75
  • 007.jpg
    007.jpg
    167.6 KB · Views: 73
I've been doing this stuff more than 45 years using a lot of different brands and models of equipment and my dream choices would be a lot different from Mudrunners! Tell us more; your dream, my dream and some other guy's dream is certain to be different. Otherwise each of us can only tell you what we wish we'd had to start with but telling you what I would want for my needs doesn't matter if your goals are different and they probably are.

I'd love to have a Dillon 1050 set up with Dillon measures and dies for each of my handguns, a Dillon 650 with Forster or Redding dies for each of my hunting rifles, a Forster CoAx and Forster dies for my varmint rifles, a Redding Ultramag for case reforming, a Lee Classic Turret for load development and a MEC Sizemaster for 12 and 20 gauge. And that's just for dream presses and dies! Then I'd need a medium size barn to set it all up in but I really don't need ... nor can I afford ... such a dream!

Bottom line, the right dream matters a lot on what your end goals are and how much money you're willing to drop on equipment; how much space you have for your total set up; what volumes of each type of ammo you might want to produce in a single session - 100 rounds or 3,000 rounds? And what rational level of accuracy you're going to be seeking from each cartridge for varmint or big game ammo or BR or 200 yard or 1,000 yard competion, etc, and if you may want to try casting bullets or do some shotshell reloading someday.

I agree with everything said by all. I have a preference for RCBS Rock Chuckers, Redding Dies, but use my two Dillon 550B's for all pistol loads. I would love a Forster CoAx, but haven't found one when I have the $ to part with - too many other things get first choice.

I also have worn out two of the Lee Auto Prime units in 30+ years and wouldn't/couldn't think of using any other priming tool.

One item to add to list would be one of the better Brass Trimming tools. I've used Hornady and RCBS, both work, both are pretty much manual until you add the 1/4" Hex adapter and run them with a small electric power tool.

Heres where Im at right now,

Redding Big boss II for the press. Seems simple, big and easy. Anyone have issues with shell holders not fitting, so on?

RCBS Universal Hand Priming tool. Question, how well do these work? Reviews on midway were favorable. My first primer was a lee, but between shell holders for this and my press I figured this would be about the same cost in the long wrong with less stuff.

RCBS ChargeMaster 1500, Not cheap, but a good manual scale and thrower will still cost you 250 or so total... so why not.

Lyman Turbo 1200 Tumber: Had one before and it worked great. The sonic cleaners haven't had the best reviews it looks like? Anyone care to comment about this?

Now for everything else I'm looking a the Hornady Lock_n_load Precision reloaders accessory kit. Also not cheap, but pretty much covers everything else I need.

I will buy the more expensive dies for rounds that I require the extra accuracy help they might produce otherwise I will stick with the normal reloading dies.

Hornady case lube and a Frankford Arsenal bullet puller.

Also have the Berger reloading manual and lee manual on the list.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.