Reloading 300 win mag on Herters press

muley

I am reloading for a 300 win mag on an old Herter's #3 press. I have an adapter for the shell holder, but it sits too high on the ram for the primer arm to reach. Does anybody have a shell holder that wouldn't need an adapter that I could buy or have another idea. I do have a hand primer, but I like the press better.

Thanks

I am reloading for a 300 win mag on an old Herter's #3 press. I have an adapter for the shell holder, but it sits too high on the ram for the primer arm to reach. Does anybody have a shell holder that wouldn't need an adapter that I could buy or have another idea. I do have a hand primer, but I like the press better.

Thanks

To be honest, if you have a hand primer, just use it, they give better feel than any press anyway.

Cheers.
gun)

I agree with MagnumManiac if you have a hand primer tool it gives you a better feel of the primer seating in the pocket. If you want to use the press priming for old time sake. You could make a longer primer seating punch and a use a longer spring to seat the primer properly with the shell holder adapter in place. If it would clear and go in the press properly. Back door solution.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.