Reloading 300 Win Mag

The powder is my limiting factor right now. I was also hoping to get some more 200 grain eldx's but no luck. I've been trying to buy a Hornady reloading manual to get their load data but even those seem sold out everywhere I look.

Huggy, you are right about wanting what I want. I run Lapua brass for my 6.5 Creedmoor and it shoots really well. I was hoping to do the same with this project but I was bummed that Lapua doesn't sell brass for 300 WM at least not yet. Ol'Red thanks for that info. It at least let's me know I didn't completely fail to get decent brass.
The Norma works well

The powder is my limiting factor right now. I was also hoping to get some more 200 grain eldx's but no luck. I've been trying to buy a Hornady reloading manual to get their load data but even those seem sold out everywhere I look.
I have #9 and #10. What are you looking for?

So I was able to secure some more H4350, 3 boxes of 220 grain eldx's, and 1 box of 200 grain eldx's. What are people's opinion on shooting 220's vs 200's. Should I maybe try to trade the 220's for more 200's or will I be able to get adequate velocity out of the 220's with H4350? I wish I could get my hands on some H1000 or RL26 but for now this is what I have to work with. Thoughts?
If you do not get the performance that you are looking for from the H4350 with the bullets that you have on hand, maybe consider saving those bullets until you get a better powder choice such as you have mentioned. The H4350 would probably work better with some lighter bullets if you can gain access to some of those in 150, 165, 168, or maybe 180 grain. The H4350 will work in the 300 WM but you will never be able to maximize its full potential with that powder and unfortunately it may be awhile before you can get your hands on the better powders. It does appear that the 4831 will give slightly higher velocities. Just something to consider, good luck.

200 eldx
IMR4831 60.0 grns to 69.2 grains max 2950 fps
H4350 55.0 grns to 65.5 grns max 2800 fps

220 eldx
IMR4831 59.8 grns to 70.7 grns max 2800 fps
H4350 54.6 grns to 64.8 grns max 2700 fps

This data was loaded in Hornady brass with Winchester WLRM primers to an overall length of 3.340 inches.
Hope this helps

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 3,849
I just did this today, 16 Feb, at Austin Rifle Club, Manor, TX. Not sure if cross forum link is allowed. If not, mods, please delete.

First time out with 215s and H1000 | Long Range Only

I've found about 100-200fps roughly for any given bullet. But I've also found outstanding accuaracy compared to other powders, it also burns extremely clean....I' he also tried to climate the tons of different kinds of powder on my bench and have found that I can use H-4350 in just about everything I own from 6mn creed to .338wm...anything based off the /06 case and all my short mags and sauna...I consider in the best "if you could only have one" powder...works also in belted casings also, you loose some velocity but no animal will ever know...great powder, now if I could only buy some ..lol

I have had this problem with Weatherby Mark V brass. The Willis die(Innovative Technologies) will solve the problem. If you measure the area immediately above the belt and it exceeds 0.512 inches, you will probably need this die. I have used this die and it works.

I get better ES and SD with the 210M rather than the 215M. You will possibly have the same experience. Also, my barrel likes the 180 BT and AB, using same load data.
This is from the Peterson website.
1613680940439.png

Hello everyone. I have been reloading for about 3 years now and recently found myself wanting to reload for 300 Win Mag. I have never reloaded a magnum caliber before so I set about learning as much as possible about the process. In doing so I stumbled across the "belt bulge" phenomenon. I must admit that this information has made me somewhat nervous to start this process. So I wanted to ask more experienced reloaders about their experiences. Is the "belt bulge" as big of a deal as I have read or will bumping the case .001-.002" using a FL Redding S die prevent this from happening? Has anyone ran into this problem and made your brass unusable? Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.

I've been waiting for a coons age for Graf's to get the Peterson Long brass in stock. Seems to be as scarce as hens teeth.
I went to the Peterson site, thinking I'd buy from the manufacturer and you get directed back to Graf's, so I assume they are the exclusive distributor for Peterson. Sigh.
I'm really keen to try the Peterson cases but thankful I'm not held up for reloading for lack of other cases, all of which have given me good service.
Still, the heart ❤ wants what the heart ❤ wants, eh? LOL

Just throwing this link up, as it appears we have several new members looking for this info.