300 Win Mag reloading advise.

Sniper1004

I need a good starting point on reloading 300 Win Mag for my rifle and would appreciate load recommendations. I have my own range and mainly target shoot usually 600yds and under, however the rifle may be used on deer or coyotes on occasion. It is a Precision Elite with MDT chassis, 30 inch stainless 5R heavy barrel. I am an experienced shooter but have not reloaded in 25 years. It shoots well with factory match ammo but I want better accuracy and with ammo being overpriced & hard to find I've decided to take the time & roll my own. It grouped well under an inch with Sig 190gr match & very well Hornady 178 ELD match. It did not like the Federal Premium with 185gr Berger Hybrid and hated the Browning Long Rang 195gr SMK.

I shoot 178 ELDM's in my .300 WM, mostly because they are available at a good price at my LGS and work well with a variety of powders in the H4350 - H4831 class, including R-S Hunter & AL 4000MR, also sort of availble, (maybe). I also shoot 200-215 grain bullets, mostly Hornady's with H1000, (most favored .300 WM powder) but have not done much of that lately. I head space on shoulder vs. belt and try to use magnum primers. Right now I am using 71 grains or so of 4000MR & the 178 HELD - that load should be good for shooting deers & coyotes.

I need a good starting point on reloading 300 Win Mag for my rifle and would appreciate load recommendations. I have my own range and mainly target shoot usually 600yds and under, however the rifle may be used on deer or coyotes on occasion. It is a Precision Elite with MDT chassis, 30 inch stainless 5R heavy barrel. I am an experienced shooter but have not reloaded in 25 years. It shoots well with factory match ammo but I want better accuracy and with ammo being overpriced & hard to find I've decided to take the time & roll my own. It grouped well under an inch with Sig 190gr match & very well Hornady 178 ELD match. It did not like the Federal Premium with 185gr Berger Hybrid and hated the Browning Long Rang 195gr SMK.
So, you have the savage 110? A 10 twist on a 30" barrel is a bummer in my book. That's 1 reason I didn't purchase that/those rifles. I do have 3 savage 110s (ba/le 26" 10 twist, stealth 24" 9.3 twist and 338lm 24" stealth 9.3 twist). Now I own 3 110 LAM actions for builds. If shooting 200gr and above you might not have enough twist for stabilizing? Check using Berger twist calc in their resource tab or JBM calculator. I wish I had/have some good reload info! I'm hoping that magpro, 7828, retumbo, 25 and/or magnum will get me where I want to go!

So, you have the savage 110? A 10 twist on a 30" barrel is a bummer in my book. That's 1 reason I didn't purchase that/those rifles. I do have 3 savage 110s (ba/le 26" 10 twist, stealth 24" 9.3 twist and 338lm 24" stealth 9.3 twist). Now I own 3 110 LAM actions for builds. If shooting 200gr and above you might not have enough twist for stabilizing? Check using Berger twist calc in their resource tab or JBM calculator. I wish I had/have some good reload info! I'm hoping that magpro, 7828, retumbo, 25 and/or magnum will get me where I want to go!
ARlife4me, you are correct sir, it has a 1/10 so I am thinking that the 168gr through 178gr might be my best bet, coupled with a slower powder for the 30" barrel. However, I am use to shooting 1,000 yds. I am limiting this rifle to 600 so the lighter bullets should do fine.

ARlife4me, you are correct sir, it has a 1/10 so I am thinking that the 168gr through 178gr might be my best bet, coupled with a slower powder for the 30" barrel. However, I am use to shooting 1,000 yds. I am limiting this rifle to 600 so the lighter bullets should do fine.
It's sad it's only a 10 instead of a 9 twist! I have a 30" 9 twist barrel for 1 of the builds just for the heavies (185 - 230gr).

Components you have available to load time now would help with your ask.

If your LGS has unlimited supplies, here is a dream list because components are so hard to find:
215 Berger
N570, H1000
Norma, ADG, (havent't used Lapua cases in 300 Win yet)
CCI250, Fed 215
Well, I'm close? No fed215, norma or adg. I do have the rest! I found norma in 264wm @ $0.75/piece, so I bought 1k.

Here are some Miller twist rate calculations. The long pointy 215 Berger needs to be launched from a 9.5 twist barrel to acheive optimum results from a wide variety of environmental conditions, like real cold & heavy air. The standard 10 twist is adequate for anything shorter. I prefer flatter mid-range trajectories vs wind bucking abilities for small targets at usual ranges like 500 yards & under - I like 178 ELDM's - are available & good with a greater availblity of powders in the H4350 - H4831 range including ball powders like R-S Hunter & AL 4000MR. Coyotes & rodents are small targets and flatter trajectories at mid ranges are a help with quick, on demand shots having a minumum of time for dial twisting. The 215 Berger would probably beat the other bullets shown for 1,000 yard plus targets.

Screenshot (372).png

10 twist is no handicap at all!!!!

I have a savage 111 long range hunter .300
Win. 10 twist.

One ragged hole accurate with hex boron nitride treated hornady 225 eld m, compressed load of imr enduron 8133, fed 215 m, Winchester brass (it's roomy). 2760 fps or so, nothing crazy but full power .300 win mag performance. Don't hamstring yourself by stopping at 180 grains.

I have to single feed the 225 load, loads like the 190-215 range probablybmake more sense.

Last edited:
Have the same rifle as the OP. It has shot a .469 moa five shot group at 169 yards using 225 grain Hornady ELD Match, Norma MRP, WLRM, and Norma cases (average H20 capacity of five was 95.19 grains). The average velocity for the group was 2,831 FPS per a Labradar. According to QuickLOAD the pressure is approximately 51,000 PSI. I am a below average shooter developing a load with the 225 ELDM and wanted to share this result.

A 10" twist is perfectly adequate right up to a 230g Berger, so dispel those that are telling you your twist is not fast enough.
I have 5 300WM rifles, not to mention my F-class rifle chambered in the same cartridge…all have 10" twists and push 210-230's with precision at long range.
A 9" twist is required for 245-250g bullets.
Even at 600, the heavier bullets perform best, the lighter than 200g bullets may be erratic, your choice I guess.

Cheers.

The method used in my spread sheet is the Miller Sg (stability) estimator. I use this before buying bullets. The recommended Sg is 1.4 & above. This is an estimator - the math may be seen on the top line. This method is also used by Berger & JBM on their on-line estimators.

I have had satisfactory results with bullets having Sg's of under 1.5 but this is at 3000 ft altitude. A .224 bullet having a Sg of 1.22 wth a 9 twist did not did not shoot well, as expected - eliptical bullet holes also.

The Hornady 4DOF process is avalble on-line & stability numbers are under the "Gyro" column gradually increasing with range. Hornady reccommends a starting "Gyro" value of 1.5 or above. A big bullet "library" having many bullets, some not Hornady, is included for calculator use.

This stuff is sort of academic but can prevent buying a high priced box of bullets that won't work. Bullet performance varies with conditions like at sea level on a cold day to mile-high on a warm day.

Measuring twist is easy. Tape on cleaning rod, tight patch on jag, lighly oiled bore, drag rod having patch out of bore watching for complete revolution of rod as indicated by mark on tape then measure distance for one revolution.

Last edited: