RDM416's new 338 Kubla Kahn...(pics)

Fiftydriver

Official LRH Sponsor
RDM416\'s new 338 Kubla Kahn...(pics)

Just finished up with a rifle for RDM416 here on LRH. Turned out very nice. Here is the list of specs:

-Nesika Bay M receiver, single shot
-Lilja #8 stainless steel, 30" 1-10" twist
-McMillan A-5 w/ adjust CP
-Jewell trigger
-Defensive Edge Muzzle brake
-Defensice Edge teflon coating OD green
-Nightforce Rings
-Nightforce NXS 5.5-22x 50mm MLR
-Chambered in 338 Kubla Kahn

1021338_Kahn_Left-med.jpg

1021338_Kahn_front_right-med.jpg

1021338_Kahn_rear_right-med.jpg

1021338_Kahn_barrel_engraving-med.jpg

Thought some on here would like to see her. Turned out great. Will be range testing her soon and getting her sent home!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Re: RDM416\'s new 338 Kubla Kahn...(pics)

Kirby,

As always very nicely done. Color shceme is a great combination one of my favorite, the green / black.

LOOKS NICE. IT'S NICE TO SEE TWO OF THE BEST GUNSMITHS WORKING TOGETHER
THANKS FOR ALL THE FINE WORK

Kirby:

Great looking gun and I agree with Shawn about the color combo, it looks super.

I'd say somebody is gonna be a happy camper when he gets his hands on this one. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Familiar looking components. I may have to have Shawn coat my 7 AM this winter. He's sure got the process down pat. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

This will be 2 Kahns for RDM416 now won't it??? He can rotate them out when he's shooting crows out of his window. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

**** nice looking Kirby, RDM oughta be one happy mother!!! I gotta give it for that color scheme, looks absolutly great. when you re do my 270AM this winter I got a feelin she will look a lot like RDM's. What is the overall weight of the rifle???

Looks great Kirby, great work again. Hell of a job on the teflon Shawn!!

Congrats RDM!!!

taek it easy
steve

That is a VERY sharp looking rifle!

Very Nice Kirby.....

Now I will have to put that on my screen along with ss7mm's rifle until my 7mm AM is finished.....

Very nice work.

Shawn does amazing work in all aspects of rifle building, his coating is no different.

I have been thinking about getting set up to do it myself but to be honest, I have no problem having one of the best do it for me!!!

Thanks again Shawn for a world class job!!

Kirby Allen(50)

BLAS 93,

THe 338 Kubla Kahn is basically a 338-378 Wby with the shoulder moved slightly forward and changed from the double radius shoulder of the Wby to a conventional 35 degree shoulder.

THe formed cases hold about 8 grains more capacity then the standard 338-378 and I personally feel are a more positive headspace design and better at controling case stretching under high pressures.

You can fire 338-378 cases in the Kahn for forming.

Kirby Allen(50)

SS7mm,

Yep he has two of these things. The other is on a Wby MkV.

If you decide to get your rifle coated there is only one shop I would recommend, you know who that is, the shop I send my stuff to.

Speaking of 7mm AMs, I should be getting my lightweight 7mm AM back from Idaho here any day!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Kirby Allen(50)

Kirby,

What size rings are those? Thinking about using the same scope on the rifle you are building for me. Was the adjustable CP needed with that size ring? We might have to change the stock order if so.

Lerch,

We have to see if the thing shoots before RDM will be happy /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif!!! I suspect it will shoot "alright".

I have not weighed her but I would guess her but she feels alot like your 270 AM. Maybe a bit lighter I would guess but close to the same. A bit heavy but it has a full 30" pipe and when your ripping 300 gr pills out at +3000 fps a bit of weight is not a bad thing!!!

We added some weight to the stock for a stock finish weight of 5 lbs. The rifle balances right at the front receiver screw. For a big rifle with long barrel it balances very nice.

RDM must not be on the web tonight, either that or he is busy loading ammo for the barrel break in /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif!!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.