fiftydriver whats the barrel life you are getting with your 338 kahn

I have about 500 rounds through mine and it is still shooting extremely well with no visible throat problems yet.

I used H-50BMG for most of those 500 rounds and lately I have tried some WC872 with good results. You will get longer throat life with the WC872 because it is a ball powder(less wear in the throat) and its flame temp is lower then stick powders.

it is more temp sensitive so if your running top pressures you will need a summer and winter load if your climate changes much.

Kirby Allen(50)

Fiftydriver, this is my firt post and new to the long range hunting thing. I have a weatherby 338-378 mark 5. its a nice rig but I can only groop about 7.5 in. in 500 yards. I know pretty pathetic. It has a loupold 4.5x14 scope on it right now. Ive read about the 338kahn and am interested to know what would be involved to transform what i have into 338kahn. keeping in mind that this would mostly be a hunting rig. can you give me an idea on cost? I allready have the reloading set up for the 338-378 so what else would I need? Ive only reloaded for factory loades and never attemped any fancy wildcat loads so im not familiar with the process or extra dies needed. Thanks

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.