338 AM assembled, pics....

lerch,

The impact zone looks like Utah. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Serious LR power.

JD338

Crow Mag,

Can't say for sure. I am very confident we have plenty of stability to get it to the trans sonic range but past that in the 1-10 twist barrel we will have to see what happens when the bullets actually get there?????

Right now I would say its a 50-50 deal. The only thing the makes me a bit nervous is the extreme length of these bullets. May be an issue dropping under 1050 fps.

Kirby Allen(50)

What twist did your lilja 10T come out to be 10T + or -? Sounds like the 10T is going to be ok for the 350g bullets. I ran some # on my ballistic program. We hunt at 10,000 feet and if the 350g bullet has a BC of .920 it looks like the bullet will go sub sonic around 3920 yards and at 3500 yards it would be going 1166 fps with 1056 flbs of energy and it would take 143 MOA and with a 10 mph full value wind it would take 13 moa to get you in close for a spotter shot.
Crow Mag

Crowmag,

I have not measured this barrel but my other Lilja barrels are running right at around 10.1 to 10.2 I would guess. Pretty close to a true 1-10 but as is usual with button pulled barrels, just a tad slower then advertised twist.

10,000 ft, Not sure I can breath that far up /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif!!

Are you on horses or on foot?

Kirby Allen(50)

We hunt on foot with the carry guns (20 pounds) hike out to a mountain top and set up. With the heavy equipment there is a 4X4 road we have a couple spots that we can set up to hunt the far mountains ranges start at 1200 yards on out.
Crow Mag

Here is a pic of the elk I shot last year I hiked in for this one. You can see camp on the far mountan side 2:00 hike ahead of us with full packs.
402628.jpg

Crow Mag

Crow Mag,

There is a reason any elk on the ground is a trophy, your pictures shows why, its generally work and an effort of love for sure.

Kirby Allen(50)

Kirby:

First of all, both of those rifles look *GREAT*.

I'm curious, though: Have you ever given thought to a .30-caliber version?

I mentioned that to the folks at Cheyenne Tactical, but they never really got back to me.

I think their Website is defunct or something. It's still active, but it doesn't appear to have been updated in quite some time.

Edit: OOPS. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif I just reread your post. Evidently, I missed the bit about the .300 Allen Magnum the first time around.

--JKO

JKO,

Yes I have been kicking around a 300 Allen Mag based on the 408 CT case. I actually have a couple ideas drawn up, just have to make a final decision and decide which one I want to go with.

This decision will be greatly decided by some new bullets that will be built by Wildcat Bullets. One is an extremely heavy bullet, when I say extremely heavy, I mean something that makes the 240 gr SMK look like a medium weight bullet /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif!!

Depending on if these bullets are a go, I will then make my decision as to what design to go with and order the reamer.

My opinion is that if you are going to use the full 140 gr capacity of a 338 AM based wildcat in 30 cal, the current bullet weights simply are not heavy enough to make it a practical idea. With the current bullet weights I would rather knock off 20 gr capacity which would basically split the difference between a 30-378 and a 300 AM based on the 338 AM design.

Kirby Allen(50)

[ QUOTE ]
JKO,

Yes I have been kicking around a 300 Allen Mag based on the 408 CT case. I actually have a couple ideas drawn up, just have to make a final decision and decide which one I want to go with.

Kirby Allen(50)

[/ QUOTE ]

I hope you plan on using 20mm Vulcan powder in that monster, and a 45 inch barrel!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Ran some tests this moring in the 338 AM.

151.0 gr of H-50BMG averaged around 3560 fps with the 300 gr SMK but was warmer then I like to see in chamber pressure. The primer pockets loosened up more then I like. Still plenty tight to reload and use again at least a couple more times but with this case I see no need to burn them up in 3 firings.

Dropped the load down to 149.0 gr 50BMG with the 300 gr SMK and things were still a bit hotter then I like. Averaging right at 3500 fps.

Grouping with both loads was running in the .2"s at 100 yards for three shots.

Ran back to the bench and loaded up some test loads using 149.0 gr WC872. Velocity averaged 3495 fps but pressure seems noticably less. Primer pockets still very tight after firing. Groups were same, mid to low .2"s for three shots.

Loaded up 20 rounds and dialed the scope in for a 1000 yard zero off the Exbal prediction. Now its time for serious testing.

Unfortunately, the wind picked up to +30 mph, no point wasting ammo in this kind of wind although I would really like to see how she shoots in this wind. A .800 BC bullet at 3500 fps should do alright!!!!

If its calm first thing in the morning I am going to head out and test before I start working in the shop. Want to set up at 1500 yards at least and see what happens. Will post results when bullets fly.

Kirby Allen(50)

Fifty, when will your rifle be completed with the Teflon coating. I am really looking forward to seeing what she looks like.

Wildcat

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.