338 am

Ozyboarhunter

hii all does anyone here own a 338 AM and can give me any feedback on that chambering as i am considering purchasing one of kirby.
any feedback is good

cheers
joel

not from down there. from up here. Though there are enough of you up here that I can say 19 nearly perfectly.:D

I'm confident that all reports you receive will be similar. Good!!

There is no cartridge that will match it and an almost identical cartridge developed by another smith.

I have a 375 AM which will more or less shoot along with the 338 AM the advantage being, with 350 SMKs, maybe a few foot pounds of energy. Not really enough to have meaning.

Watch Shawn Carlock's Long Range Hunting video, the first one, noting the time for bullet travel on all shots. Pay particular attention to the long shot on the bear. Flight time is impressively short. Very impressively short.

Good luck on your quest.

I have a 338 AM and it is awsome !!! The rifle is a little on the large side but it's for long range and topped with a nightforce you can reelly reach out. If I had it to over again I would have went with the 7 mm AM it would fill my needs better. Mine is Kirby built and is a work of presion art. I got fire formed brass fron kirby and reloading is very easy, I'm shotting 300 SMK's and can print a 6" group at 1000 yards I'm sure the rifle will shoot better than I can. The recoil is about the same as my 270 Win almost nothing

from down here? oh gods country did you mean aah :) jde512 that grouping sounds great :). 32" bareel aint to bad. im in australia and we have alot of open country out here to use it(where i shoot anyway)

anyone here from AUS had any troubles mporting 338 tac style rounds fro us?

cheers
joel

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.