New 338 AM

Booney

Base of the Bluemountains aka Gods Country
Well I'm about ready to send Kirby a check, but before I do I thought I would get some last min thoughts. This is what I'm thinking

BAT Model M receiver....................................................
BAT 40 moa SS rail base...............................................
Modify rail and receiver for 4, 10-32 mounting bolts.....

Broughton 32" heavy fluted, 1.350" shank dia 5r

APS slim 5 port PK.........................................................
Jewell trigger with bottom safety....................................
McMillan A-5 stock.......................................
Decelerator recoil pad.....................................................
Thumbwheel adjustable CP............................................
Pillar bedding stock to receiver......................................
Metal ADL trigger guard..................................................
Two sets of NF Ultralight rings........................................
ACI with mount.................................................................
Anti cant device................................................................
Cerakote all metal surfaces in flat black.........................

And for any of you that have had any 338 408 done please pipe up and tell me your thought and what you had done thanks.

Last edited:
Booney, sure you not refferring to my build:)...man are we on a similar page although mine's a 338AX build by Kirby...here's where the components are same or very similar.

BAT Model M receiver
BAT 20 moa SS rail base.
Modify rail and receiver for 4, 10-32 mounting bolts
Kreiger 31" fluted, 1.350" shank dia
APS 3 port PK
Jewell trigger with bottom safety
McMillan A-5 stock by Russo
Decelerator recoil pad
Thumbwheel adjustable CP
Pillar bedding stock to receiver
Metal BAT SS ADL trigger guard
Two sets of NF Ultralight rings

My feedback is excellent choices I think you did your homework and will love it. 338AM that's some serious shooting, enjoy, what timeframe are you looking at? Don't forget the pics.

I would not get a thumbwheel adjustable cheak piece. Everyone I know has had problems with them not holding up. If you want an adjustable cheak piece get the terry cross model.

Booney, I've heard alot of good things about Broughton barrels and I think you'll have a winner. Enjoy the build.

Looks good to me. That's pretty much the standard template for the big Allen Mags. I'm weeks away from picking up my 375. It sports a Lilja at 30".

Thanks! It is a custom "Allen32" contour. I think it is 1.350" for aprox. 6.5" then tapers to .900 at the muzzle at 32". My barrel is only 30" so it may be a little bigger at the muzzle. I'm sure looking forward to it!

Sounds like a nice build and has many similar features to my current build. A major difference between your build and mine is the stock. I went with the A3 rather than the A5. I am not a big fan of the cut-out in the buttstock of the A5. With the angled bottom edge of the A3 you can make elevation changes by sliding a bag forward or back.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.