RCBS Summit Single Stage Press

SidecarFlip

Discussing FA products on another thread got my noodle going about presses....

Has anyone bought or tried the RCBS Summit Single State reloading press?

Myself, I've had a pair of Rockchuckers for years, did some mods (like grease fittings in the base casting to lubricate the ram), but the Summit looks interesting.

My only dislike is the unorthodox die position. Any comments?

I'm curious.

I used a CH H press for about 25 years before switching over to the Summit 2ish+ years ago and I like it a lot. I also use an Arbor press and a Harrels compact press FWIW.

I have two of the summit presses. One I added the rcbs arbor press conversion kit, makes a
wonderful arbor press, using LE Wilson neck dies. The other one used as a normal press.
Really great using your bullet seating dies. Their a great press, just have to get use to them.

made in CHINA
glt

Gary: Is that important today? China can produce some quality goods (with proper oversight).

Somehow I think that the computer or at least a large portion of it (that you typed and posted that comment on)... was made in CHINA.

Made in China or any third world country is a direct result of many things, mostly political.

.... and has nothing to do with why I initiated the thread in the first place...

Gary: Is that important today? China can produce some quality goods (with proper oversight).

Somehow I think that the computer or at least a large portion of it (that you typed and posted that comment on)... was made in CHINA.

Made in China or any third world country is a direct result of many things, mostly political.

.... and has nothing to do with why I initiated the thread in the first place...

with nearly four millions souls looking for a job it is important to me. If Lee, Redding, Forster, Wilson, and some others can do it, so can RCBS.
gary

with nearly four millions souls looking for a job it is important to me. If Lee, Redding, Forster, Wilson, and some others can do it, so can RCBS.
gary

Fair statement, however, you need to look no farther than the current administration for answers.

You and I both know that domestic specialty casting is all but gone from this country due to the stifling regulations imposed by the EPA, OSHA and other regulatory agencies, hell bent on destroying American industry for the sake of 'safety and being green'.

Consequently, I suspect that while the other manufacturers might nor have their castings produced in China, they are probably coming into this country in containers from other lands (India comes to mind).

'Made in USA' has become a blurred and maligned statement. Made in and assembled in USA have become intertwined today. Just because the casting has 'Made in USA' cast into it, means little, if nothing.

Finally, with proper oversight, the Chinese can produce a quality product. Without oversight, their quality becomes questionable, case in point, the Vortex Razor spotting scope thread.....

In summation, I have no idea where their castings are produced but I strongly suspect, it's not domestically.

Fair statement, however, you need to look no farther than the current administration for answers.

You and I both know that domestic specialty casting is all but gone from this country due to the stifling regulations imposed by the EPA, OSHA and other regulatory agencies, hell bent on destroying American industry for the sake of 'safety and being green'.

Consequently, I suspect that while the other manufacturers might nor have their castings produced in China, they are probably coming into this country in containers from other lands (India comes to mind).

'Made in USA' has become a blurred and maligned statement. Made in and assembled in USA have become intertwined today. Just because the casting has 'Made in USA' cast into it, means little, if nothing.

Finally, with proper oversight, the Chinese can produce a quality product. Without oversight, their quality becomes questionable, case in point, the Vortex Razor spotting scope thread.....

In summation, I have no idea where their castings are produced but I strongly suspect, it's not domestically.

you and I probably know more about what these clowns have done over the last twenty years, than 98% of the rest of the folks on the board. I've seen the results first hand.

Over the last ten years we've watched one foundry after another fold up from pressure from the EPA (OHSA isn't really all that big a deal once you learn the system). Still many have survived. Steel mills have now moved from using coke to electric (natural gas?), and now are moving into vacum systems. Just costs a lot more money, and prices reflect it. Redding for example has all it's castings poured in PA., and then shipped to New York for machining. Forster is similar as well as Lee. The funny thing about RCBS is that they only assemble presses here and box them. You'd think that go head and finish it in China. Here's why. A few years back, all you had to do was to package the part here and it was now U.S. made. They broke that up when they cracked Ford's butt a few years back.

Gun writers don't want to discuss this, because RCBS, Hornaday, and Lyman won't give them anymore free stuff. Samething with some rifle manufacturers too (think Layne). Yes it costs a lot of dollars to retool up and existing machine. (pretty much the samething you paid for the machine). Yet most of the existing companies are simply shipping their tooling (and machinery in some cases) to China and Korea. What money did you save here? You simply sent "X" amount of jobs to China to save move and make the consumer price cheaper. Yet you didn't you did not reduce the price a dime! You instead lined your pockets with the money you saved.

Content laws are rapidly changing thanks to tricks pulled off by Ford a few years back. The Feds stepped in, and discounted assembly, and made everybody go by part content in North America. Some take Mexico out of the North America equation, and some include Mexico. Ford includes Mexico, G.M. calls Mexico out separate, and think Chrysler is similar to Ford. Honda seems to be one of the better content manufacturers over here, and actually ships cars to Japan! It's getting ready to make another serious turn as society has once again roared it's voice. No matter who is elected, he will install a massive tariff (or be unelectable). Look for 20% to as high as 35% price increases, or you'll bring the jobs back home. Reloading equipment is nickel and dime compared to the big boys, but still counts. Yet the Fed knows little difference between a five billion dollar net and a five million dollar net. They look at tax dollars they're loosing in the economy (wages, social security, and excise), and don't think the states don't think that way as well. RCBS probably has about ten dollars in a standard die set cut in China. Heat treat will be very suspect as Asian metallurgy is a well known joke. But rest assured RCBS is still gonna charge you the same price they did a year or two ago. They're just a little too greedy! They don't give a rats *** about the consumer

gary

I must be missing something here. I really don't see the advantages to this press.

think I will stick with my co-ax

Neither do I actually, other than it's unique design and position of the die. I started the thread to see if anyone used one and opinions from users, nothing more.

I see the asking price has decreased somewhat which tells me they aren't as popular as RCBS hoped they would be....

far as the arbor press comment, myself I prefer a real arbor press with gibbed ram thats rack toothed. I guess the Summit press could do in a pinch but it's not my 'pinch'.

I know RCBS made a big hoopla at the Vegas SHOT show 2 years ago about it (Summit Press). I was curious to see how many users there were and how they liked or disliked it.

Neither do I actually, other than it's unique design and position of the die. I started the thread to see if anyone used one and opinions from users, nothing more.

I see the asking price has decreased somewhat which tells me they aren't as popular as RCBS hoped they would be....

far as the arbor press comment, myself I prefer a real arbor press with gibbed ram thats rack toothed. I guess the Summit press could do in a pinch but it's not my 'pinch'.

I know RCBS made a big hoopla at the Vegas SHOT show 2 years ago about it (Summit Press). I was curious to see how many users there were and how they liked or disliked it.

Ron Pence uses an arbor press that's just like the one you see in a tool room. Works for him, and so be it. I use a small K&M, and it'll do anything I care to do. tried several gear and rack presses, and just never liked the way they felt seating bullets. Other guys are OK with them. I under stand that.
gary

I have 2 though one has a broken base at the moment.

1) Pretty rigid.
2) Very powerful - sizing 375 CheyTac is a diddle.
3) Adjustments are "involved"
4) Grease fittings rock
5) There is a clearance problem with 1-1/4 Widden Micrometer (CheyTac) dies. Remove the bolts and turn so the heads are on the inside and the lock nuts are on the outside.

Over all it is a press I will be keeping.

I have some version of everything else C press (Pacific/Hornady), O press (RCBS), Turret press (Lyman), Co-Ax (Foster), Arbor and progressives (Lee 1000 and Dillon 650).

I too have the arbor conversion kit. Don't like it much.

I will be keeping the Summit in the lineup for the big cases.

For the broken base, I am interested in making a new base for it but we will see.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.