Ramshot LRT Hodgdon US 869 7mmWSM

What is full Karen ?

Sorry brother, I completely missed your question.

Basically, the gent saddled up his superiority complex & ran me over.

"Magnum isn't as temp stable as H1000!" (duh). It might be ok for the "type of shooting you do"... blah, blah, blah...

Summarized. Ramshot powders are beneath him, so no one should use it. Or, that's how I interpreted it anyway.

t

Sorry brother, I completely missed your question.

Basically, the gent saddled up his superiority complex & ran me over.

"Magnum isn't as temp stable as H1000!" (duh). It might be ok for the "type of shooting you do"... blah, blah, blah...

Summarized. Ramshot powders are beneath him, so no one should use it. Or, that's how I interpreted it anyway.

t
You should've reaponded with somethin like "OMG! H1000 is more temp stable?! Why on earth do I even bother?" Guess I'm a dinosaur but every rifle in my safe was'nt acquired to shoot field mice @1200 yds in 101° heat with a 40 mph crosswind. Ima have to get me some o that H1000 so I dont feel inferior at the deer lease.

How dare you suggest a perfectly viable alternative to the powder HE uses? When confronted by an individual suffering from Dumbassia its best to verbally consent to their great knowledge and expertise while in the back of ur mind smugly think to yourself "what a jackass!". 😉
Not.....if you verbally consent then the person is only being reinforced in their stupidity and goes on believing in their righteous path...better to call a ♠️ a ♠️...and then believe firmly in your righteous indignation!😉....just me!

Not.....if you verbally consent then the person is only being reinforced in their stupidity and goes on believing in their righteous path...better to call a ♠️ a ♠️...and then believe firmly in your righteous indignation!😉....just me!
I was being sarcastic brother. Not in my nature to bow and scrape. 😎

You should've reaponded with somethin like "OMG! H1000 is more temp stable?! Why on earth do I even bother?" Guess I'm a dinosaur but every rifle in my safe was'nt acquired to shoot field mice @1200 yds in 101° heat with a 40 mph crosswind. Ima have to get me some o that H1000 so I dont feel inferior at the deer lease.

I completely understand why someone would care to mention stability, I really do. But there are constructive ways to do thing & there ways to be a not so nice person.

Almost all of my rigs are built to make small groups at extended distance. However, if I don't have any powder to shoot the dern thing, it really doesn't make a difference how amazing "H" powders are, does it? Lol

I guess where my frustrations with the gent's comments are this:
I started experimenting with Magnum years ago on the recommendation from a very experienced shooter/hunter. It meters extremely well, it produced VERY good velocity, SD, ES etc. I've never popped a primer & it's almost always available.

Have I seen temperature effect velocity... not enough for my targets to care about 🤷‍♂️. Is there a temp swing? There has to be, but at least in my application, it isn't enough to worry about. Perhaps I should put my chronograph where my mouth is.... Worst case scenario, I see enough of a temp swing that I run two drop cards, one for high heat, one for hunting weather.

oh no... my life is ruined. At least I can still shoot the **** thing 🤣

t

Last edited:
I completely understand why someone would care to mention stability, I really do. But there are constructive ways to do thing & there ways to be a not so nice person.

Almost all of my rigs are built to make small groups at extended distance. However, if I don't have any powder to shoot the dern thing, it really doesn't make a difference how accurate "H" powders are, does it? Lol

I guess where my frustrations with the gent's comments are this:
I started experimenting with Magnum years ago on the recommendation from a very experienced shooter/hunter. It meters extremely well, it produced VERY good velocity, SD, ES etc. I've never popped a primer & it's almost always available.

Have I seen temperature effect velocity... not enough for my targets to care about 🤷‍♂️. Is there a temp swing? There has to be, but at least in my application, it isn't enough to worry about. Perhaps I should put my chronograph where my mouth is.... Worst case scenario, I see enough of a temp swing that I run two drop cards, one for high heat, one for hunting weather.

oh no... my life is ruined. At least I can still shoot the **** thing 🤣

t
Exactly! Same reason I'm running Magpro in my 300 WM. It makes bughole groups at high velocity AND I have (2) 8 pound jugs thanks to a swap.

That's exactly what I just came to say.

With LRT in a 338RUM, I ran out of case capacity at 101grns and still didn't find pressure.

Will it go bang? Guaranteed, but I imagine even with a highly compressed case, velocity will be dismal.

If you want to use Ramshot, grab some Magnum. Burn rate is very close to H1000.

t
I echo this. Same exact results.

As in, same results with the RUM or? I'd honestly like to know your findings.

t
With the 300 and 338 rum, I ran out of capacity before I got useful velocity. You can fill that case to the mouth, cram a bullet in there and still won't hit pressure.
I dropped down to magnum for the 300 and h1000 for the 338 and got the results I was after.
I like ramshot powders. Very easy to work with, mostly available and the results have been good.

I see that magnum has been available for a few weeks now. Or at least the sites where I usually frequent. I think less than $30/#, but some around $32 or more.

With the 300 and 338 rum, I ran out of capacity before I got useful velocity. You can fill that case to the mouth, cram a bullet in there and still won't hit pressure.
I dropped down to magnum for the 300 and h1000 for the 338 and got the results I was after.
I like ramshot powders. Very easy to work with, mostly available and the results have been good.

I actually did hit usable velocity. 101grns of LRT behind a 285 ELD netted me an average of 2960fps. I don't think that is too terrible.

t

LRT was designed for heaviest weights per cartridge, mainly for 338lm. I've run numbers thru ql for 264wm (140gr up), 300wm (215gr up) and 338lm (270gr up) and all just to get at max was 105% - 109% capacity.