Hodgdon US 869?

Firecat

Has anyone tried 869 in their 300 RUM? I've tried retumbo in mine and was not super impressed with velocities. I think I'm right around 2900 with a max charge for my rifle being around 92 grains. I'm shooting a Remington Sendero SFII. I am shooting Berger 210 gr hunters. Any advice on this powder or others for this application would be welcomed and gladly received.

Only thing I'll use 869 on anymore is to start campfires. Its a junk, non extreme, ball powder. It was absolutely horrible in my 338lm. Slower velocity than retumbo, shotgun pattern at 100yards, and the powder was so slow that there were flames out of the muzzle for two feet. I don't know what would be better than retumbo but I can say with a fair bit of certainty that us869 is not it.

I assume you are running a 26" barrel. You might try H1000. We are in the process of developing a 300 RUM load with 869 with a GS 177g HV. So far looks very promising. This is a 30" barrel and a compressed load of 112g. Much diff than what you are doing. You could try it and see. You can't go wrong. I tried it in my 30-338 Lap imp with the 177 last night and could not get the velocity that I was looking for. Not enough barrel to burn all the powder.

Steve

The Factory barrel is 26 inches. I'm not real concerned what powder it is. I am just looking for something that is a little faster than what I am getting with Retumbo. The load is accurate enough. Perhaps the answer is a different Bullet?

The Factory barrel is 26 inches. I'm not real concerned what powder it is. I am just looking for something that is a little faster than what I am getting with Retumbo. The load is accurate enough. Perhaps the answer is a different Bullet?
rl33 may be your ticket. It will do better than 3K fps out of a 26" bbl with a 225hdy. I'm able to get wc872 (sister powder to 869) to 3200 fps with a 190 and 3300 fps with a 180, but it seems to hit the wall earlier than rl25, rl33 and 5010 in the 30rum as far as pressure/ velocity.

Lefty, how do you like the 190's? Are they berger's? I've thought about trying them several times.
Hornady interlock spbt's. The load is about 3/4 moa steady. Of course the rifle weighs in at 9# scoped with no brake, so she'll shove ya a bit. I'm liking the 180 hdy sp's at 3300 and the 225 hdy hpbt at 3,000 a bit more, but the 190's do just fine too.

I was running 869 in my ultra before I switched to retumbo.

104.0 grains behind a berger 210 vld with cci 250s was holdin 3/4 moa out to around 500. Thats as far as I made it before changing to a heavier barrel. And the new barrel would not shoot it.

869 works well in the ultra with the heaviest bullets you can get, I would say 210 as a minimum. There is a thread on here somewhere of someone running the 240 smks with good results....

I have been shooting 104grs of us869 in my 300 rummy, fed 215's, 208 gr amax. My ES IS 8 to 10 FPS and my MV is 3208 from a 30 in benchmark bbl. I am very happy with performance I am getting with us869.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.