US 869 Hodgdon powder, anyone tried or seen it yet?

Here's some data on it...

http://www.hodgdon.com/data/US869data-01-11-2006.pdf

(And look at that 338-378 Weatherby whip the pants of the 338 Lapua Magnum!) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Correct me if I'm wrong--but this is a ball powder isn't it? I'm wondering if it's not Hodgodn's version of the Winchester WMR, which Accurate has already marketed as MagPro...

There really aren't many powder manufacturers out there, and much of what is being sold is the same stuff with different labels.

Dan

Yeah, it's a ball powder. As soon as I get some more 169.5 gr .277" bullets from Richard, I'll be testing this out in my 270 AM. I'd like to try it in my 300 RUM w/the 240 SMKs, but the rifle already shoots .25 MOA w/Retumbo so I don't think I'll be messing w/it.

Whats your load for Retumbo and the 240g SMK? I was thinking about trying the big 240g out of my stock 26", but I dont know if its worth it ballistically out to 1200 yards. It drops a hell of a lot more then the 220g and 200g SMK's, and the difference in wind is inches at 1000 yards, energy is only about 100lbs more with each heavier bullet. Doesn't seem to justify shooting the 240g, but then again, I could be wrong. Whats your velocity with the 240g??

I dont know about you, but i can not get powder for less than $21.00 a lb around here. the hazmat fees and shipping plus the 8lbs of powder comes out to @ 18.50 a lb.

could be worse midway has an extra surcharge for powders.

for the cartridges that need the us869, i would not buy a lb of it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

d-a

I went to a Sportsman's Warehouse on Saturday for the first time. I'll definitely be back. Their powder was priced the same as Midway's for the 1# bottles. But even better was the 8# jugs were $12 cheaper. Where they really shine, is that there is no shipping or hazmat fees.

I've ordered things from Midway for years, their shipping is cheaper than taxes and gas. But when it comes to buying powder, I'm going to start making the 100+ mile drive to the Sportsmans Warehouse in Tucson.

GOt 16 lbs headed my way. Will be awhile before its available up in my neck of the woods, at least in decent amounts. Buying it by the pound is simply playing with most of the big chamberins that will use it, like your Sniper Tac!!

Should be here soon!!

Kirby Allen(50)

85 gr of Retumbo gives me 2850 fps. This is out of a 30" bbl. I will tell you not to mess w/the 240s. They shoot extremely well in my rifle but I'm having trouble getting them. Stick w/the 220, it's easy to find!! I wish I had.

remingtonman_25_06, sensible maxs in my 26" 300 RUM with the 240 SMK were:

89 Retumbo for about 2850
98 H870 for about 2950
100 H50BMG for about 2900

Hogdon's data for US869 is screwy for the 300 RUM, but if you read between the lines it looks promising--with a 220 it's beating H870 and thrashing H50BMG velocity-wise at the same pressures. It should be just what the doctor ordered for 240's and 250's.

When I tried it in my 300RUM it was very temp sensitive for me, so I have half of a 1lb jug that I will never use. don't like it

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.