Us 869

338RUML

Curious if us 869 is worth loading in the 338 rum can you get enough powder in the case to achieve good velocitys? Currently loading RL-33 and getting 2775 consistenly with 300 Bergers, 869 would have a similar burn rate I would imagine and it is supposed to be very stable with very little temperature sensitivity. And hey is 30 dollars cheaper for 8#rs than Rl33 anybody's experience or input would be appreciated thanks

no first hand experience unfortuantely with 869 in my 338 rum, what steered me away was the reports of high variance in temp stability. guys were saying anywhere form 1-2 FPS per degree.

You may try retumbo, i run mine @ 2700. 300 SMK.

no first hand experience unfortuantely with 869 in my 338 rum, what steered me away was the reports of high variance in temp stability. guys were saying anywhere form 1-2 FPS per degree.

US 869 best powder I found for my 7 RUM but can't address temp stability. Good Luck.

338, the best group I've ever had in my 30/378 WBY was with US869, but as N. Idaho said when the temp moved so did the POI. Now using Retumbo or H1000. Good luck

I loaded 92 grains of retumbo at 3.820 and 3.800 6 of each shot three cool clean barrel then 3 cool dirty barrel both depths were bad accuracy like a 8 inch group but the dirty barrel was a little bit tighter eight the 300 Berger and only 2690 velocity

How is your accuracy with the RL33? What is your load?

101 grains of RL33 has netted me 2775 consistenly with the 300 Berger loaded at 3.820 I got a 3/4 group at 100 going to load closer to the lands and keep playing with it my oal base to tip is 3.976 in my rifle I can load these out long, going to up it to 102 and check pressure and velocity but only at a shallower seating depth I'm happy with 2775. Like I said gonna find the sweet spot now for the 101 load and play with 102 see what happens! gun)

Have you tried longer ranges than 100 yards ?
More often the big, long, heavy bullets aren't stabilized at 100 yards.

Have you tried longer ranges than 100 yards ?
More often the big, long, heavy bullets aren't stabilized at 100 yards.

Yes but, Right now I'm just trying to get a velocity suitable for me with a good stable powder that is consistent and that's not hard on brass. Even though these are compressed loads I am liking the results of RL-33 its been a good powder for me so far great velocity. Kind of funny how you go pick up a 100 pack of Bergers a few pounds of powder and then go shooting a few times to come home and reload and the box of Bergers is bone dry :D:D stuff seems to disappear and it's not cheap!! Haha, love this hobby of ours

Yes !!
I just rebarrelled a 223 and doing load work up and ....
It's almost like a different sport.

I just bought 8 pounds of RL33 because it is shooting so well in my new Bartlein barrel in my 338 rum. I was at 101 grs when the barrel started gaining speed and was up to 2874 with the 300 gr OTM. I dropped my powder charge down to 99 grs of RL33 and now I am shooting a one hole group at 2805 fps. This powder charge is equally accurate with my 300 gr accubonds. The accubonds are .020 off the lands with a col of 3.695 and the Bergers are .090 off the lands with a col of 3.800. These loads are not max pressure in my gun, but they are very accurate.

My barrel also sped up! I was getting 2775 with 101 grains of rl33 now 100 grains gets me 2850 avg velocity but still getting a slight ejector mark I'm going to back down 2 grains to save my brass. Where do these 300 Bergers like to be off the lands? Closer or further away?

I have loaded the Bergers to magazine length before at about 3.670 and now I have a wyatts magazine so I can load to 3.825. I am loading my bergers to 3.800 right now and that puts me .090 off the lands with a saami spec reamer.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.