Quickload velocity prediction

Or bathroom scales. Wondering what the powder charge was weighed with.

I've commonly exceeded maximum powder charges in reloading manuals. But never by 12 grains of powder.

Good thing we're not using Hornady brass. :)
Rcbs chargemaster is what i use.

One of THE most critical things to know when using QL is case volume. Without that, any user is squarely in the middle of a garbage-in-garbage-out situation. QL's default value for 264WM case capacity is 82 grains. My once-fired Nosler cases measure nearly 88 grains. I know of no published data source, QL included, that yields anything like realistic numbers for the Win Mag.

Book data for the 264WM is virtually useless. Like most other 6.5's, the 264 WM is best treated like a wildcat cartridge. That is to say, develop your own data. QL and an accurate chrono are valuable tools in doing that.
That's one of the main problems with the 264 wm and the lack of knowledge and that goes with loading for it and why people have no real idea what the cartridge is capable of.

I started at what I thought was a fairly low charge and worked up until I saw pressure signs.. being as how the 264 wm has useless load data in most books I didn't have much to go off of. To touch the lands with a 143 eld-x I'm at 2.790 cbol.
I recently visited the Alliant web site and collected RL26 load data for the 7mm RM and 270 Win.

Didn't see any data for the 264 WM.

Max loads for the two 140gr bullets listed in 7mm RM are 68.0 and 71.2gr. So you're likely redlining the .264 WM.

No expert on your cartridge, but you'll be apt to generate higher pressure with the same weight bullet in the .264 bore than in the .284 bore. This presumes equal cartridge capacity...

So maybe proceed with an extra degree of caution.

I
I recently visited the Alliant web site and collected RL26 load data for the 7mm RM and 270 Win.

Didn't see any data for the 264 WM.

Max loads for the two 140gr bullets listed in 7mm RM are 68.0 and 71.2gr. So you're likely redlining the .264 WM.

No expert on your cartridge, but you'll be apt to generate higher pressure with the same weight bullet in the .264 bore than in the .284 bore. This presumes equal cartridge capacity...

So maybe proceed with an extra degree of caution.
I'm no expert either. I always use caution and load careully. I saw slight ejector marks and a hint of bolt lift stiffness at 72gr. I went no further

I started at what I thought was a fairly low charge and worked up until I saw pressure signs.. being as how the 264 wm has useless load data in most books I didn't have much to go off of. To touch the lands with a 143 eld-x I'm at 2.790 cbol.
Got me?? Do you know what the coal was? Since I don't own a WM, that would help my pea brain compute better.

They show a max load of 60g with rl25 and a 140g.

I have never loaded a 264wm so no personal experience. I would like to know the vel of this load.

Steve

Researched case capacities. The 7mm RM has slightly greater capacity - about 2 grains more H20.

This, and the larger bore diameter of the 7mm RM means that the RL26 powder charge Alliant shows for the 7mm RM would generate higher pressures when used in the 264 WM.

So this reinforces my earlier post. You're already loading at the max powder charge for the 7mm RM with 140gr bullets. So you're exceeding those 7mm RM load pressures when using that powder charge in your 264 WM.
Whether or not it's a safe pressure in your rifle is something you're in the best position to determine.

I don't own or use Quickload.

Take care...

Last edited:
give me a water capacity on a fired case and I can adjust that in my quickload too .

let the primer in , do not resize . weigh a fired empty brass case . weigh the case filled to the top with water . the water should be even with the top of the case neck , no bubble on top . the difference in these weights is the capacity .

You could also use the 270 WSM and the 270 Weatherby Mag Alliant RL26 load data.
The 270 WSM has slightly less case capacity, and the 270 Weatherby has slightly greater case capacity. These two cartridges are closer to your .264 bore diameter. The Alliant data for both of these cartridges also indicates you're about maxed out with 70gr RL26 - pressure wise - in your 264 WM.

So we're back where you started, asking for a QL velocity projection.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.