Quickload velocity prediction

fisherman983

Can anyone help me out? Curious as to my predicted velocity until i get a chance to use a chrono next week.
264 win mag.
Cbol 2.735
70 gr R26
143 eld-x

cbto length means nothing to quickload . they use COAL off the tip of the bullet . I used 3.340 COAL , a 26" bbl ,70.0 gr RL26 , I got 93622 PSI and 3415FPS . it's rated at 62366 psi . you look to be over loaded by 8.5 grains , about 350 FPS to much velocity .

cbto length means nothing to quickload . they use COAL off the tip of the bullet . I used 3.340 COAL , a 26" bbl ,70.0 gr RL26 , I got 93622 PSI and 3415FPS . it's rated at 62366 psi . you look to be over loaded by 8.5 grains , about 350 FPS to much velocity .
I was unaware if what length quick load needed, and I didn't have the coal written down. I'l rememer that next time. Thank you

This is why I always work up loads with a chronograph. Some rifles do not show classic pressures signs.

Steve

This is why I always work up loads with a chronograph. Some rifles do not show classic pressures signs.

Steve
The only logical explanation I can think of which would allow that load would be a tremendous amount of freebore; either by design or the throat is shot out for an inch!!

One of THE most critical things to know when using QL is case volume. Without that, any user is squarely in the middle of a garbage-in-garbage-out situation. QL's default value for 264WM case capacity is 82 grains. My once-fired Nosler cases measure nearly 88 grains. I know of no published data source, QL included, that yields anything like realistic numbers for the Win Mag.

Book data for the 264WM is virtually useless. Like most other 6.5's, the 264 WM is best treated like a wildcat cartridge. That is to say, develop your own data. QL and an accurate chrono are valuable tools in doing that.

That's amazing! Not trying to be a jerk, but how did you come by that load?
Do you know what the throat length is in the rifle?
I started at what I thought was a fairly low charge and worked up until I saw pressure signs.. being as how the 264 wm has useless load data in most books I didn't have much to go off of. To touch the lands with a 143 eld-x I'm at 2.790 cbol.

The only logical explanation I can think of which would allow that load would be a tremendous amount of freebore; either by design or the throat is shot out for an inch!!
Or bathroom scales. Wondering what the powder charge was weighed with.

I've commonly exceeded maximum powder charges in reloading manuals. But never by 12 grains of powder.

Good thing we're not using Hornady brass. :)

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.