quickload

Discussion in 'Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics' started by canjaeger, Feb 18, 2004.

1. canjaeger

canjaeger Active Member

enybody use quickload ? and what do you think? [​IMG]

jaeger

2. Jay Kyle

Jay Kyle Well-Known Member

I'm using it, I find it dramatically reduces the load development cycle.

AB

3. subsonic

subsonic Active Member

Hi Canjaeger,
    I use it and find it accurate. I used it to help me design a new improved match hornet to shoot 40gn Hornady V-maxs out of a Ruger 77/22Hornet Varmint, Quickload predicted 3300fps with Win 296. To which I thought rubbish you can't get that out of a hornet but when chronographed with my Oehler 35P the load was within 3fps of that predicted I was very impressed.

I was developing some load data for a suppressed 44magnum with Vihtavouri shotgun powder and the velocities were 100-300fps slower than predicted it was barrel friction slowing them down (like 22lr ammo in long barrels begins to slow down after about 15"). I then adjusted the 'long barrel friction' and now Quickload has predicted velocitys consistently within 20fps (most of the time within 3-12fps) with velocities rangeing from 600-1200fps.
    I find it a incredibly helpful program especially when you are developing wildcat ammunition load data.

[ 02-19-2004: Message edited by: subsonic ]

4. *WyoWhisper*

*WyoWhisper* Guest

What is this and where can you find it?

5. AJ300MAG

AJ300MAG Well-Known Member

You tell me the colors scheme of your latest A5, is it painted or molded in, and I'll tell you where to get Quickload [​IMG]
    http://www.neconos.com/

Al

6. Black Diamond 408

Black Diamond 408 Well-Known Member

I have it and its great!!!!! Its a little complicated for a novice as it has many features. I worked up loads for the 408 and the crono was dead on! Saves powder and bullets.

7. Mikecr

Mikecr Well-Known Member

The coolest thing is that you can throw 'what ifs' at it. Also, You can calibrate it.

It is however, behind on powders listed/usable. Neco says that the powder mfgs are very slow/reluctant to test or offer data. That sux

8. canjaeger

canjaeger Active Member

Great now that i know everybody who has it i will be pumping you for load checks [​IMG]
    no just kiding [​IMG] no its just i use a similar program for engine work and as you all said it has saved me alot of time and effort i just wanted to get some feed back on its value and acuracy. i have down loaded a demo version of it and will play with it and decide

thanks guy's jaeger

9. Jay Kyle

There's some basic tricks to using it.
    A. Try to build a load where Pmax and Z1 are on top of each other (in the graph), this gives the best groupings
    B. Try to build a load with a minimum exit pressure, this will have the least bullet upset.
    C. Keep the powder loaded in the brass just under or just over 100% (I use anywhere between 96%-105%), never right on 100%. If it's a 100%, some shells will be compressed and some not, they will have different burn characteristics.
    D. After you've modeled a load, shot it and worked with it to get your groups tight, adjust the case volume setting in Quickload to get a matching muzzle velocity.
    E. Once you've got a completed load, note the barrel time. This is your barrel harmonic time. Use this to create other loads for that barrel, match your barrel time and you should have a load that groups tightly.

Remember this is a modelling tool, and you must use it in conjunction with results from actual shooting really make it sing.

AB

10. Brent

Brent Well-Known Member

AlbertaBound,
    Is it really that simple in real life though. [​IMG]
    Good tips, and stuff I think about too.

jaeger,
    What program do you use for motor building? Dyno 2000 Engine Simulation? I have that one, and I like it a lot.

11. *WyoWhisper*

*WyoWhisper* Guest

AJ,

20% tan, 20 % Black, 60% OD green.

Molded.....
    cool huh...

I found a better combo.. for my 338 Lapua

20% white, 20% black, 60% tan.... you should see that SWEET!!!

12. canjaeger

canjaeger Active Member

Brent i use a performance trends program it works great [​IMG]
    jaeger

13. Mikecr

Mikecr Well-Known Member

Does anyone know any powder tweaks?
    I'd love to add calibrated-psuedo WC-8xx, or benchmark

14. Jay Kyle

Brent,
    I don't have extensive time with it, but the boy's over in AccurateReloading use it extensively. It certainly worked when I was fighting with an Abolt II 300WinMag with BOSS to build a load. I had put over 300 rounds through this rifle trying the ladder method, a modified ladder method, etc. and couldn't get my preferred bullet to group any tighter than 1.5". So in desperation I bought it, learned how to use it, and modeled a single load, next thing I know it's shooting 0.5" groups.

I also use it to do what-if's comparisons when I'm thinking of purchasing a different caliber.

AB