Question: Build with used barrel?

frogfan

I have been contemplating a 7mm-08 build and recently found a used Proof carbon barrel chambered by American Precision Arms in 7mm-08, and threaded for a Bighorn Origin action.

I am aware Proof makes prefit barrels for the Origin action . Should this barrel chambered by APA theoretically function like a prefit barrel with another Origin action? I would of course have a qualified gunsmith install the barrel and check head space for safety.

Any insight or advice is appreciated.

Thank you.

I usually can't recommend spending money on a used barrel. You're taking a chance on buying the original owner's problems.

As to the APA 'theoretically', maybe, maybe not. Call APA to ask for their suggestion. My guess is that they will want to fit and headspace this barrel to your action and charge for it. This sort of relieves them of the potential for lack of performance in a small way.

Installing the barrel and checking the headspace is a no brainer.

I'll comment on two things. APA is a well trusted company. You can buy one of their barrels with confidence. Second, you can definitely switch barrels from bighorn to bighorn with zero issues.

I have 6 barrels for two rifles and all of them headspace correctly.

So yes. You can buy that 7mm-08 barrel and be confident that it will work with your Origin action. Make sure the original owner had the barrel chambered with the bighorn lug or an aftermarket lug

and recently found a used Proof carbon barrel

APA is a well trusted company. You can buy one of their barrels with confidence.

Everyone makes mistakes occasionally...

And in the midst of all this exuded confidence you can guarantee the condition of the barrel? That was my reasoning behind restraint. Even APA is not omnipotent when it comes to what may have gone wrong with the barrel, enough so to convince the original owner to sell it. I would suggest having the opportunity to have an expert borescope the barrel first before committing to buying it.

Yes. I stand by my confidence. I am very savy with bighorn products. I said nothing about the condition of the barrel. Even if it was brand new it could simply be a defective product. The OP will have to determine whether or not the barrel is worth purchase.

I answered his question with my opinion. "Should this barrel chambered by APA theoretically function like a prefit barrel with another Origin action?"

He was asking if a shouldered Barrel is the same as a "prefit". A term I don't personally like by the way.

@frogfan if you can vet the owner of the barrel and are willing to buy it in it's current condition then go ahead. I think you'll be extremely happy with the end result.

Joe

Thank you for the insight. I do understand the inherent risks of purchasing a used barrel outside of the concerns I have mentioned.

In this case the seller claims the barrel was used to fire 20 rounds of 7mm-08 long range ammunition, nothing more.

Yeah, why...?

Because I'm always interested in situations like this. It's a learning experience if nothing more. Beside that, it's a possible insight into how people think about products and performance or why they change their minds sometimes.:)

There are so many of us on here he** bent on getting a rifle to shoot a particular bullet, the seller may just not have liked what he saw. You never really know how a rifle shoots and balances until that particular barrel is installed. I've personally disliked barrels and lengths others have said are about perfect. If the savings is justified, I think this is a low risk opportunity

Because I'm always interested in situations like this. It's a learning experience if nothing more. Beside that, it's a possible insight into how people think about products and performance or why they change their minds sometimes.:)

Fair. My question was not a second guess as to why one would choose a used barrel - so would I. But I'm asking myself why they sold a barrel after 20 rounds?

I think @howco has a possible explanation for the "why" of it.

Really, the only why I'd care about would be if the barrel didn't perform or didn't check out now on inspection.

I agree with you on this. Had a buddy build a 6.5 CR on a North Western action and used a take off barrel he had. Upon shooting it he didn't like it. I told him hold on let it settle in and several rounds later it was shooting sub MOA!

I believe the fella above was supporting your question with one of his own...and so am I....YEAH WHY?

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.