700 build question

wjarrell

Hey guys I'm kicking around the idea of doing a build for long range hunting deer sized game. I have a Remington 700 ADL in 7mm RM that I'd like to build off. I'm santa stay with 7mm RM because I have all the reloading components already. Not sure what barrel company to go with. I was thinking of a Bartlein barrel because Red Hawk Rifles has one in stock, (stainless, 5r, 1 in 9 twist, #4 bull sporter.) I will be loading 168 vld.

A buddy of mine just finished a 6.5 creedmoore on a model 7 action, he went with Douglas Barrels. Just looking for some advise I guess, never done a build before so I'm not sure what barrel company to go with.

Hey guys I'm kicking around the idea of doing a build for long range hunting deer sized game. I have a Remington 700 ADL in 7mm RM that I'd like to build off. I'm santa stay with 7mm RM because I have all the reloading components already. Not sure what barrel company to go with. I was thinking of a Bartlein barrel because Red Hawk Rifles has one in stock, (stainless, 5r, 1 in 9 twist, #4 bull sporter.) I will be loading 168 vld.

Sounds like you got it figured out pretty good. Bartlein barrels are top-tier. As long as your smith does a proper job, you should be more than happy with the outcome. I think the specs you listed would make a great hunter. Just make sure the barrel length is at least 26".

I use a 7mmRM with 168 VLD's, as well. Hits deer like freight train from my experiences.

Sounds like you got it figured out pretty good. Bartlein barrels are top-tier. As long as your smith does a proper job, you should be more than happy with the outcome. I think the specs you listed would make a great hunter. Just make sure the barrel length is at least 26".

I use a 7mmRM with 168 VLD's, as well. Hits deer like freight train from my experiences.

Thanks MudRunner, shank diameter of the barrel blank is 1.20" right?

There are a lot of good barrel makers these days. Bartlein is one of the best at this time. 7mm Rem Mag should get the job done. The folks at Gunwerks like the 7mm for long range hunting. You could even use a heavier bullet to get a little better ballistic coefficient.

I just finished a Rem 700 with a Bartlien installed in 6.5x284, Remington Varmint contour. Have to say, it's certainly amongst the best of the barrels I have owned.
Not much load development. Just used the same load that I use in my Cooper 6.5x284 and seated the bullet .020" off the lands. 2975FPS, ES <10FPS. Identical velocity to my Cooper, also with a 26" barrel. It's been repeatable after several outings with 5 shot groups staying at 25MOA. Also, it holds POI, first shot cold, or multiples warm. I think Bartlein really knows what they are doing!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    121.6 KB · Views: 84
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.