6.5 build question

BrentM

Looking at putting a Shilen on a Savage. Any nay sayers regarding Shilen?

Second, is the cartridge. They have the reamers for the following:

6.5-300 Ultra
6.5-65 RWS
6.5 Rem. Mag.
264 Win. Mag.
6.5 X 300 Wby. Mag.
6.5 WSM
6.5 WSM (.287")
Plus others

What I was planning to do is the 6.5 WSM in a 26-28". I see some of this other stuff like the Rem mag, the RWS??? ultra, 300 weatherby.

Is the WSM still the best route to go? I have a long action and was planning to stick with it. I have a model 116 and am thinking of buying another exactly like it in the 6.5-284 and have one set up with a spare barrel, and the other in the WSM. Thoughts please.

I can't speak to the quality of Shilen pre fit barrels but as far as the cartridge I have a few comments. Since you have a long action, there is no practical advantage to the 6.5 WSM over the 264 WM other than lack of a belt. You may encounter some feeding issues with the WSM and the factory mag box and follower, not sure on that.

If you do go with the 6.5 WSM I would go with the standard neck chamber as opposed to the .287 neck version. With the .287 neck chamber you are looking at having to turn the necks of the cases and getting a bushing die for sizing which runs into some time and money. You can get a set of Lee 6.5-300 WSM dies for about $30-35 if you go with the standard neck.

The 6.5 WSM is pretty cool and duplicates the velocity of the 264 WM. Cases are easily formed from 270 WSM brass in one pass through the sizing die. It is a fun and easy wildcat if you decide to go that route. Just some food for thought.

Hmmm, so the WSM and 264 have the same velocity? I thought the 264 with 140's was in the 3000-3100 range and mirrored the 6.5-284. The WSM is showing 3300-3400 according to builds on LRH. Am I incorrect?

Agreed on the tight neck. my 6.5 fired brass is .296, loaded is .294, I bushing size to .292. .287 is tight.

Yup, the 264 WM and 6.5 WSM will be very close. I like the shorter beltless cartridges so I decided on the WSM for a build. I'm goping to get this barrel nitirided and see it how it does. If it works out good with longer barrel life I'll probably try a 6.5 Dakota (bout the same as an STW)

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.