6.5 creedmoor build barrel questions

Peckerwood

I have read and read to no end about barrels / lengths /contours and i think ive narrowed it down to a bartlein 5R 26" in rem varmint contour but i cant find any good pics of this contour barrel. Im building on a savage 110 .243 long action. I got it for $300 scoped with a nice wood stock. I may decide to keep the stock but dont know how the rem. Varmint will look on it. Also this gun will be mainly be for target shooting and long range varmint hunting so not looking for a really heavy barrel but one i can also shoot off hand as well. Im a big guy 260 lb. 6 ft tall but a 26" heavy bbl is still pretty wobbly. Any input is appreciated.

Here is a pic of me from the SHC this year. This is the same contour but at 24 inches...I have some better pics of the contour at home if I remember... If you search for images of the Sendero contour you'll find a lot online as they are the same contour.

Attachments

• SHC2016.jpg
    SHC2016.jpg
    155.2 KB · Views: 160
Peckerwood,

There are a ton of pictures in the internet if you do a search for Remington Varmint or Remington Sendero.

Here is a factory photograph of that contour in stainless which is the same contour that Bartlein uses basically.

Remington_Sendero_post.jpg

There is a very short straight line tenon in front of the receiver. Then there is a short funnel taper in front of that then the long slow taper to the end of the muzzle. Bartlein has the dimensions on their website.

Enjoy!

Thanks fellas. I think this is what im lookin for. Not too big for total bench gun but big enough for what i need. I guess im worried because ive never ordered or rebarreled before and want to do it right the first time.

What do you guys think about a criterion barrel. 26" light varmint or heavy sporter for the 6.5 creed. Im reading mixed reviews i know the rifling is different than a 5r but only major difference i can tell is the 5r is less apt to copper foul as quickly as other types. Not worried about the price of a barrel but dont want to be disappointed with the accuracy either. Ive heard they have great customer service from guys on the savage shooters forum. Thoughts?

What do you guys think about a criterion barrel. 26" light varmint or heavy sporter for the 6.5 creed. Im reading mixed reviews i know the rifling is different than a 5r but only major difference i can tell is the 5r is less apt to copper foul as quickly as other types. Not worried about the price of a barrel but dont want to be disappointed with the accuracy either. Ive heard they have great customer service from guys on the savage shooters forum. Thoughts?

Im ordering Criterion Friday for my Savage model 12. Im getting the 26in stainless match Varmint contour. I hope its a shooter. From what i here they shoot great

Im ordering Criterion Friday for my Savage model 12. Im getting the 26in stainless match Varmint contour. I hope its a shooter. From what i here they shoot great

I've used hundreds of Bartlein barrels and never had to HOPE for a shooter. They all shot accurately, broke in quickly and cleaned up simply. They are cut rifled as opposed to the Criterion which is a button barrel. Your choice of course.

Regards.

Six of those, half a dozen of the others... If $ are not an issue splurge, go with a Smith and get a nice cut rifle barrel. I just received my fourth Krieger chambered in 6mm Competition Match by Dave Bruno out of PA. This is the first Remington varmint contour I've had. I got it to drop some weight off of the light varmint, for off hand shooting. If you decide to go pre-fit pick one and go with it. Chances are it will be a decent shooter,most will get down in the .2's-.3's.

Don Dunlap

I've used hundreds of Bartlein barrels and never had to HOPE for a shooter. They all shot accurately, broke in quickly and cleaned up simply. They are cut rifled as opposed to the Criterion which is a button barrel. Your choice of course.

Regards.

If I could get a Bartlien I would. Unfortunately not everyone can afford one.

Well barrlein lost my business simply because they dont make a barrel prefit for savage action so its $350 for bbl then $300 for them to pair it up which i can do right here at home with a criterion. Im not made of money and the trees arent growing it in my yard so.......... im not knocking them i know they are awesome just not for me.

Well that's your problem. You have to start money trees in a pot and keep them inside until they start producing at least singles. After that happens you can move it outside and get the big bills. Make sure you replant outside after the last freeze or your tree will never reach its full potential.

On a serious note, if you have the ability to go with a cut rifled barrel, do it. after shooting a few bartleins on .243, .260 and 7 SAUM I am a real believer. The .260 is the only one that is mine but every one is consistent whether the barrel is clean, cold, warm, wet or dirty. if you are shooting p-dogs at extended ranges, give yourself the best advantage. Them suckers are small at 600.

Check out Apache Gun Works. They are X-Caliber barrels, pre-fits at excellent prices.gun) .They shoot real good. I just started shooting a .243 while I was getting my 6 mm Competition Match chambered. It is a shooter....:)

Don Dunlap

Well barrlein lost my business simply because they dont make a barrel prefit for savage action so its $350 for bbl then $300 for them to pair it up which i can do right here at home with a criterion. Im not made of money and the trees arent growing it in my yard so.......... im not knocking them i know they are awesome just not for me.

these guys do

BARTLEIN

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.