6.5 creedmoor build

Bnosse

I currently have a Ruger Predator 6.5 creed, I went to a long range shooting school over the weekend and was consistently hitting a 1000 yard dinger by end of day 1. Now I want to build a gun for this instead of using a hunting rifle, and looking for suggestions.

I want a Remington 700 frame. I know I need to start w a 308. Any thoughts ? I really appreciate the help

A 700 is a great platform to build off of but I'm not to partial to the .308. I'm assuming the gun will be mainly shot from the prone? A trued 700 in a good aftermarket tactical or varmint stock thats bedded and with a custom barrel will be the ticket. Budget though will dictate how far you can go though.

Some more details are needed such as how much you reload, budget, barrel life expectancy, repeater, how much recoil, distance to be shot etc. I personally would lean on 6.5 or 7mm from what I think you are doing.

Trued 700 : $550
Barrel : $550
Stock and bedding : $500-1000

it adds up quick. If your stuck on a .308 I have a great entry level custom tikka .308 for sale if your interested though :D

I believe the OP means that he knows he needs a "basic" .308 receiver. You know, one from a .22/250, or a .243, or a 7mm/08, or a .308,,,,,,,, to build the Creedmoor on........ Potatoe is correct though on 'budget'. Depends on how much you want to spend. When building a 'custom' you do need to stick with a Rem. 700 (or a custom action based on the 700) for aftermarket parts availibility. You know, stocks and triggers and the like....

Thanks guys, yes I plan on sticking with 700 action, Bartlein barrel, and either Mcmillen or HS stock. Question is seeing as the bolt face of a 308 and 6.5 are the same is it going to be a basic build? As in buy trigger,stock,barrel,action and assemble. Or will their still need to be some gun smithing done?

You will want a good smith to true your action and install the barrel and possibly bed it if you are not comfortable with bedding. I'm looking at doing the same thing with my 700 22-250 ackley as its about due for a barrel.

Thanks guys, yes I plan on sticking with 700 action, Bartlein barrel, and either Mcmillen or HS stock. Question is seeing as the bolt face of a 308 and 6.5 are the same is it going to be a basic build? As in buy trigger,stock,barrel,action and assemble. Or will their still need to be some gun smithing done?
It depends on what barrel and stock you choose. Could also depend on choice of magazine systems. H-S comes one way, ready to accept "factory" components. McMillan can be purchased without the wait, if using "factory" components, or ordered with a non-standard barrel channel and/or inletting for other than "factory" bottom metal. These have turned into more of an "assembly" as most all the work is done during the manufacture of the components, except the barreled action of course. Still, the "assembly" needs to be done with care. I will add, there are several other very good barrel makes available other than Bartlein. Yes, Bartlien is very good, but so are several others. When choosing among the top 4-6 or 8 barrel makers, the work preformed to the blank is much more important than the make of the blank. We are truely fortunate to have so many good, custom barrels available today.

I may get jumped on for this but many good rifles have been built on the Savage and if you're good at tinkering you can do everything you need at your workbench. There isn't as much aftermarket support but it is still extensive. It's almost like the 10/22. You don't need a lot of gunsmithing to get a real tack driver that is set up just how you want it. If the 700 is your cup of tea then you can't go wrong there either but you will need gunsmithing for the barrel.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.