Pup desperately needs a little help

The pup was being walked on a leash by my buddy's girlfriend. It was on a public sidewalk in a residential neighborhood. The pitbull appeared out of nowhere and attacked the little dog. The girlfriend couldn't possibly stop the pit. It eventually released the torn up dog and ran off.

We hear the same story all the time around here regarding pitbulls and attacks on people and pets. Owners say they are no different than any other breed. Statistics say otherwise. All dog owners are fully responsible for the action of their dogs. If you own a dog with the potential to do serious harm to kids, pets, or other you need to make 110% sure that you've got them secured.

The owner of this pit should be compelled to foot the vet bill and the courts should determine what the owner should be required to do to safeguard the public. Just my 2 cents.
Weren't pit bulls originally bred to fight other dogs to begin with?

Weren't pit bulls originally bred to fight other dogs to begin with?

I really don't know but they are extremely powerful dogs that have a bite that is second to none. They use them for catch/hold dogs for wild boar hunting. Once they latch on, they don't let go.

Not looking to denigrate the breed but they are responsible for some horrific attacks. Some owners just love, breed and live with pits. Me, I'm a Golden Retriever guy. There's a breed for everyone.

When I was young my parents took in dogs and cats off the streets. They didn't call it "rescue" then but it was essentially the same thing. I can't ever remember a time when we did not have a dog. 99% of the time they were garden variety mutts. We loved them all.

Last edited:
a lot of people get shot or shot and killed everyday....Banning guns is the only answer!
come on Karen tell everyone how you think it should be...
They have been bred for combat they do what their genes tell them.. He sleeps with us! and I pity the meth head who breaks in
Redi could kill a man! Find out who owns the bulldog and sue him.. get a file started on that dog until they ban him... leave the rest of us alone!
and see the leash? my dog is restrained.

Last edited:
a lot of people get shot or shot and killed everyday....Banning guns is the only answer!
come on Karen tell everyone how you think it should be...
They have been bred for combat they do what their genes tell them.. He sleeps with us! and I pity the meth head who breaks in
Redi could kill a man! Find out who owns the bulldog and sue him.. get a file started on that dog until they ban him... leave the rest of us alone!
and see the leash? my dog is restrained.
I don't think anyone on this thread want to ban pit bulls, at least I don't. I think the problem is when folks who don't have the skills and knowledge that you have raising them get them and don't give the dog the discipline and firm hand it needs. Then situations like what the OP mentioned occur.

Is it true that decades ago pit bulls were raised for fighting?

In Germany one of my neighbors had a Presa Canario and it never attacked people or little dogs. Pretty sure, given this guy's background, it was because he maintained strict discipline with it. But without that discipline bad things MAY have happened.

Such dogs have their place. In my area a woman was out with her pit bull and wandered in to a some of javelinas. Had it not been for the dog latching on to the javelina and not letting go I think that the whole man could have been killed. Both her and the dog had to get a lot of stitches but the alternative could have been much worse.

I hope that things work out for the better for the dog that was mauled and it's owners.

You can take any American Bull dog or Bull Terriers and not cut their ears and tail and they look like a normal dog. The reason their ears and tails are cut when they fought the ears and tails were bitten/pulled off so the owners started to cut the ears and tail after birth.
"PIT Bull" comes from using the dogs to fight and gamble on their death and killing power. Putting two/three dogs in a "PIT" to fight. It is a violent and sickening sport that is illegal and now carriers very stiff fines and Jail Time.
Just remember!!!!
"THERE ARE NO BAD DOGS-ONLY BAD OWNERS"

They trim shredded ears but never cut tails they use it for balance.Don't talk about something you know nothing about!
never 3 only 2 dogs that weigh within 2oz.of each other I remember when it was legal in 4 states.

Sorry to hear about you old Pyrenees. It's hard losing your companion.

The little dog, that was the victim of the attack indicated above, is home with disabilities. It still requires some regular veterinary care. The costs were unnerving. While the donations helped, the vet wanted the balance due. My buddy put it on a new charge card that he will pay off over a very extended period of time. He just doesn't earn enough money to deal with an issue like this.

The owner tried several attorneys who all claimed to work with "dog bite" cases but NONE would take the case. They all said that they only take cases where a human is mauled, not another dog.

Sorry to hear about you old Pyrenees. It's hard losing your companion.

The little dog, that was the victim of the attack indicated above, is home with disabilities. It still requires some regular veterinary care. The costs were unnerving. While the donations helped, the vet wanted the balance due. My buddy put it on a new charge card that he will pay off over a very extended period of time. He just doesn't earn enough money to deal with an issue like this.

The owner tried several attorneys who all claimed to work with "dog bite" cases but NONE would take the case. They all said that they only take cases where a human is mauled, not another dog.
That is too bad that the owner of the dog that attacked can't be held responsible. Can also go to court on his own to sue, but very limited in Small Claims Court. Quite a long time ago I took several cases to court and won judgements on dead beat payers for services preformed.
Hope the pupy gets better soon.
Our new Greart Pyrenees is full of energy. Cassie is now 9 1/2 weeks old and seems like she has a Nuclear Reactor inside her. LOTS of energy in bursts.
Len & Jill

I am a dog lover. Dogs are similar to people. There are some that due to either environmental or mental issues have no place in the civilized world. I was attacked by a German Shepherd when I was a kid. I was simply walking down the street while visiting my aunt and uncle. I was okay other than a serious bite on one of my legs. My uncle grabbed his gun and went to this neighbors yard and dispatched the dog. I cried more about the dog being shot than the bite. We are responsible for the dogs we own. I would never own a dog with a viscous nature.

Our new Greart Pyrenees is full of energy. Cassie is now 9 1/2 weeks old and seems like she has a Nuclear Reactor inside her. LOTS of energy in bursts.
Len & Jill
Happy to hear about the new pup. My daughter just bought a Newfoundland pup for her sons who are 3yo & 4yo. I swear that put is visibly larger ever week when I see him. I don't know why anyone would choose such a large breed but we all have our preferences. My daughters grew up with Golden Retreivers, it's the only breed we've had.

Happy to hear about the new pup. My daughter just bought a Newfoundland pup for her sons who are 3yo & 4yo. I swear that put is visibly larger ever week when I see him. I don't know why anyone would choose such a large breed but we all have our preferences. My daughters grew up with Golden Retreivers, it's the only breed we've had.
I raised Goldens -Had five of them -all rescues . NewFoundland can get up to 200 lbs. They are great family dogs.

I have two pitbulls now got them both as rescues. I have owned coon hounds fox hounds an old English bulldog chesapeake all used for hunting other than the pitbulls. All around the friendliest to humans and other dogs are the two pitbulls. Maybe just luck of the draw.

The problem isn't the pitbulls, they are great family dogs. It's how the breed in general has been used in cockfights and treated. It's very unfortunate all the way around. Once again the problem is people... Wish only a full recovery.