proper barrel break in

darrindlh

Guys buying a new rifle a vanguard 300 wm. I want to properly break in the barrel before I get my loads reloaded. I have never broken in a barrel before. This is the first brand new rifle I will have owned. Any suggestions will be much appreciated!!

Darrin

We haven't gotten to the load dialing in phase yet, but I gave my nephew a Mossberg ATR for Christmas. We did the shoot 1/clean using a good copper solvent for the first 10 shots, then did the shoot 3/clean for the next 21 shots. He was amazed at how much faster the barrel cleaned up, and how little pressure was required to get the patch thru the bore at the end. He bought 200 patches and it wasn't enough.........

Buy and use a bore guide.

There is no set number of times to clean after each shot to break-in a barrel. Every barrel is different and the idea is to shoot and clean until the job is done, meaning, until there is significantly less fouling or almost no fouling between shots. That might take 3 shots or maybe 20 or more.

Here's a good article that one of our sponsor smiths wrote...

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f5/custom-barrel-care-17x-jim-see-50118/

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts