proper barrel break in?

mfloski

I mess around on another forum frequently, its more of a hunting forum...but recently a post went like 20pg long discussing gun cleaning. I was stunned to see at least 50% of people supporting NO or LITTLE cleaning and only as needed when "accuracy started to fall off"! I found it to be crazy talk hearing people claiming to be experts saying things like "cleaning guns does more harm than good" and "dirty barrels shoot more accurately" anyway, curious what this sight thinks about new barrel break in proceedure?

There is a distinct difference between barrel-break in and routine cleaning of firearms. And there are several schools of thought on both, as you are learning. If I made an absolute statement one way or the other, it would cause a tidal wave of opinions supporting what everyone else thinks. My advise, evaluate what works best for you. But dont believe in absolutes.

Custom Barrel Care At 17X

pertains to CUSTOM barrels
Read that article, more importantly read the discussion of that article.
It will give you a information base to work off of. My last post on this topic, as I'm getting a tounge lashing on 6mmbr.

I mess around on another forum frequently, its more of a hunting forum...but recently a post went like 20pg long discussing gun cleaning. I was stunned to see at least 50% of people supporting NO or LITTLE cleaning and only as needed when "accuracy started to fall off"! I found it to be crazy talk hearing people claiming to be experts saying things like "cleaning guns does more harm than good" and "dirty barrels shoot more accurately" anyway, curious what this sight thinks about new barrel break in proceedure?

You will probably find the same thing on this site because It is such a personal thing with each
person.

The article that Cowboy posted mirrored my findings and experiences.

I have barrels that will shoot a 100 shot match without loss of accuracy and others that
loose accuracy after 6 or 7 shots. so they must be treated differently.

But they were all broken in using the shoot and clean method and they foul very little.

When I first started working on rifles that would not shoot very well, I found that most just
needed a bare metal cleaning and accuracy was restored.

You will have to decide how you want to treat a new barrel and live with it.

J E CUSTOM

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.