Preventing ring marks

I brought the El CheepO harbor fright torque wrench home from from work. Until i got my hands on a wheeler fat wrench. It always worked good for me. This might be a silly one, but has anyone ever seen a torque spec. for a scope?

Last edited:
The rings will have torque specs.. I use a Borka

BorkaMG3-SRAkit.jpg

Last edited:
Good quality rings mounted on a straight base and torqued to spec should not leave any ring marks or need to be lapped. The Burris Sig Series are nice and a cheap/easy way to make up for base problems, but they're not nearly as strong, won't have as good return to zero performance, etc, as some of the higher quality tactical rings. The idea they are needed to prevent ring marks is just not correct.

I'm of the opinion that if you're reading this board, in the long run you're better off with a quality 20 MOA picatinny base and a pair of quality tactical rings than trying to make due with lower quality/cheaper/lighter duty stuff which you'll probably end up replacing eventually.

Are we talking Burris Signature standard rings or Burris Signature Zee rings? Can you see the plastic inserts in them when the scope is mounted up or does it look like a normal ring?

You can see the inserts, but to my eyes, it doesn't look bad. They also allow the option of using the offset inserts to aid in zeroing, minimizing the amount of the scope's internal adjustment you have to use. You can also use the offset inserts to add some elevation if you wish. They grip firmly and don't produce ring marks. There's no downside I have found to the Burris Signature Zee Rings. They are all I use nowadays.

John

check Harbor Freight they had a torque wrench that was only about $20. I have one but still bought the fat wrench as it is much easier and less cumbersome and a pretty good investment.

I think I'm gonna give the Burris Zee Signature a try, everyone says good things about them on this thread. Anyone used the Vortex TRL rings?

I have used the Harbor Freight cheapo Inch/ Pound Torque Wrench and it has worked great for many years . I have seen a few reports from those who did have problems . I also use mine for Action tightening . As far as redneck short cuts , I have seen Magic tape used on Scopes ( under non-lapped Rings ) on light recoiling Rifles work very well . No Ring Marks at all . It was a little tricky getting the Tape off after use though .

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.