Mark 4 ring issue

TackDriv3r

I was in the process of removing the scope for sale and noticed that the inside of my Mark 4 rings are very shiny and smooth. It looked like it was honed. There are no marks on the scope where the rings was in contact. Any idea why its like that? I checked a new set of Mark 4 rings that is in my safe and its not shiny on the inside and a little rougher on the insides.

FaUktAp.jpg

NN60Zve.jpg

Did you buy the rings new and unmounted? In your first pocture there appears to still be some original finish where the 2 pieces meet.

If you bought the scope with the rings already mounted its my guess they were lapped by the prior owner although i have never seen one with so much of the original finish lapped off.

Did you buy the rings new and unmounted? In your first pocture there appears to still be some original finish where the 2 pieces meet.

If you bought the scope with the rings already mounted its my guess they were lapped by the prior owner although i have never seen one with so much of the original finish lapped off.
I had the gun built several years ago, not sure if the prior gunsmith lapped them because he sent it with the scope mounted.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.