Preventing ring marks

Jeremybj

Hello,

I purchased a 4-16x50 Vortex Viper PST scope. I'm going to mount it on my Savage model 10 308. Since I spent good money on this scope I want to keep it in tip top shape and preserve resale. Should I buy a ring with 4-6 screws per ring to spread the survice area? Or should I lap the rings or something? Or is there a certain brand of ring that I should get? Let me know your thoughts. Thanks.

Last edited:
Burris Signature Rings use plastic inserts to grab the scope and I've never heard of anyone getting ring marks using them. I've shot them on some 7mm mags and after tons of rounds they've never shifted point of aim and when I took the scopes off they looked like they had never been mounted.

+1 for Waren not making marks. I have had the rings on and off my zeiss quite a few times in the last week. But alas they don't give me the elevation i need so I'm going to the Burris Sig Rings to try and get some more moa.

Are we talking Burris Signature standard rings or Burris Signature Zee rings? Can you see the plastic inserts in them when the scope is mounted up or does it look like a normal ring?

As mentioned already, Warne rings are very effective and have never left marks on my scopes.

They are all I use currently.

Although I suggest a steel base, not aluminum weavers....

Are we talking Burris Signature standard rings or Burris Signature Zee rings? Can you see the plastic inserts in them when the scope is mounted up or does it look like a normal ring?

Either one has the insert. The ring you pick depends on the base you have. I've used both with excellent success.

You should always lap your rings unless its something like a NEAR where he says not to. but your standard rings should always be lapped to take out any misalignment or imperfections, it also gives you reassurance and visual confirmation that you have full surface contact. as far as a redneck cheater way to lap rings... not really the wheeler kits are so inexpensive i dont see how you could save much money unless you have a perfect 1" or 30mm (whatever your case is) piece of round stock laying around, and some lapping compound.. but for 30-40 bucks wheeler includes the bar, handle and lapping compound.. very worthwhile investment.

I agree with always lapping your rings especially when mounting an optic that represents a significant investment. I would add that using the manufacturer recommended torque would be a good idea and combined with lapping should ensure that your scope showes no ring marks if you decide to sell it. As far as rings, I think that TPS offers the best quality vs. price. I have lapped a couple sets and they would have been fine without it. I also like Talley and Reaper rings.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts