Ring marks

Discussion in 'Long Range Scopes and Other Optics' started by 7RUMshtr, Oct 20, 2013.

1. 7RUMshtr

7RUMshtr Active Member

What is the best way to Prevent ring marks when mounting a new scope?

2. Broz

Broz Well-Known Member

Stay away from cheap rings.

Also lapping them in with a lapping bar first will help, but some rings that may take a while.

Jeff

3. kcebcj

kcebcj Well-Known Member

A quality rail bedded on the receiver by a smith that knows what he is doing and like Broz says a quality set of rings. With everything right lapping is usually is not necessary.

4. bruce_ventura

bruce_ventura Well-Known Member

Keep your rings clean. Remove any burrs on the edges. I recommend lapping the rings unless you know the base and rings are well made (fully machined rings, not extruded) and the base is properly installed. Then tighten the ring screws to the proper torque value.

HighPowerOptics provides in our installation kits a very thin, yet incredibly strong RingTrue Tape that is applied to the rings after lapping. I developed the tape for mounting scopes on .338 magnum and 50 BMG rifles. I change scopes on ballistic test rifles frequently and wanted to prevent scope slipping and the associated ring marks. It works extremely well. RingTrue Tape is only 0.0025" thick and is resistant to heat, moisture and ultraviolet light.

While I don't always use it, I've found that in most cases it helps - and never hurts. It protects the rings from corrosion after lapping. I've found that some scope and ring anodize coatings are slippery. RingTrue Tape improves grip and prevents the scope from slipping. It prevents ring marks of any kind. I also use it on some tactical rings instead of lapping them.

If you want a free sample, go to the HighPowerOptics Contact Page, and leave a note asking for a free sample of RingTrue Tape. We'll send you enough tape to install a scope. This free sample offer expires after November 30, 2013.

5. 7RUMshtr

7RUMshtr Active Member

Thanks for the help guys. I got the lapping kit coming.

6. dyllan78

dyllan78 Well-Known Member

Quick question???

I only torqued my mark 4 ring screws down 18lbs/in. on my vx6. I took it back off to make sure everything was ok. it was. very faintly you can see the matte finish glossing up a bit where the rings were sitting. and i mean you really have to look. is this normal even though i didn't gorilla the screws down. just curious. thanks for any response.

7. dragman

dragman Well-Known Member

Remember before you lap nightforce rings that it voids the warranty. I believe with a quality base and ring combo and the right torque specs that you can keep a scope clean.

8. rpatowers

rpatowers Well-Known Member

Burris Signature rings (the kind with the plastic inserts) will not cause ring marks. They are excellent rings, from my experience.

9. Garycrow

Garycrow Well-Known Member

The best thing you can do to avoid ring marks is to not over-tighten the rings. Almost all ring manufacturers specify 15-20 in-lbs for ring torque which is surprisingly little. Use a torque wrench and you'll avoid ring marks unless the rings are grossly misaligned. If you skip the torque wrench and crank them "farmer tight" you're pretty much guaranteed to scar the tube.

10. Gene

Gene Well-Known Member

I fully agree. I have lapped rings, but not without significant results. Go with the Burris turn in rings and bases, you will not go wrong. No ring marks.

11. FEENIX

FEENIX Well-Known Member

Another vote for the Burris signature zee rings with insert ...

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wcRAX5OLtJE"]The Burris Signature Ring Mounting System - YouTube[/ame]

12. WYcoyote

WYcoyote Well-Known Member

plus 3