Scope ring marks

DartonJager

How noticeable should the makings on a scope tube be from non-lapped ring contact?
And what constitutes excessive ring markings?
And is excessive ring marks (as I strongly suspect) a indicator of either or both mis aligned scope rings or unlevel scope mounts?

Last edited:
"Normal" markings are a discoloration of the surface, usually a bit duller than the rest of the scope body but they should be evenly distributed and match the ring surfaces.
Excessive is when they scratch or cut into the scope finish or even dent the tube which means it wasn't installed properly/misaligned. I have seen scopes change the point of impact as you torqued the top ring at various settings, bending the tube.
Excessive marks may damage the scope and most manufacturers won't warranty it. Probably best to avoid if it is anything more than surface finish scuffing. I have beat up some scopes pretty bed from falling, etc. and they still functioned 100% but smashing/bending the tube is another story.

I agree with what Wedgy said. Most scopes will show normal ring marks from even one-time, proper mounting.

Something we've noticed, is that one of the best finishes that comes through our shop (we buy and sell used optics) is the Vortex Hard Anodized Stealth Shadow finish, like they have on the Razor. Sometimes it's hard to tell if they've ever been mounted.

How noticeable should the makings on a scope tube be from non-lapped ring contact?
And what constitutes excessive ring markings?
And is excessive ring marks (as I strongly suspect) a indicator of either or both mis aligned scope rings or unlevel scope mounts?
Maybe I'm just lucky, but I have yet to get ring marks on a scope (and I've mounted several). I mostly use Nightforce Ultra-Light Tactical rings.