Press ???s Please help!

Firehawk

I currently have a RCBS Partner Press and have considered purchasing a Rockchucker or Redding Boss or similar.

My question is, Is it worth it? Do I gain the ability to make better ammo? I load for a 7mm-08 and a 7mmRM and hopefully a .223 or .22-250 in the upcoming year.

I have considered purchasing some Lapua brass to make more accurate 7mm-08 loads (.308 brass necked down) but wonder if it is futile with this Press? Any opinions?

Thanks!

Firehawk

Hi firehawk get the Rock Chucker Supreme it is a far better press and will not spring when full length sizing. Also if you go to any larget calibres in the future the larger press is realy the only way to go.

Cheers Bill
Australia

call me biased but i wouldnt own anything but rcbs presses and dies, cant be beat for warranty and service and a great product line! the rock chucker rules

Wild Bill this ones for you will a ultra fit in a regular old rcbs........not sure which one the only markings on it are RC. Does that stand for ROCK CHUCKER? Just wondering longest thing I load is a 300 win and noticed I cant load anything much longer?? Unless you gotta stick the bullet up in the die then pull the press up?

I throw a new wrench into the fire and tell you to go get a Dillon 550B. This is the best press out there, plus its a progressive and will be a lot faster than the Rockchucker. You can get just as accurate loads off of it as you would a single stage press, just ask David Tubb or the U.S. Palma team.

i would find it very had to believe that any progressive press can be consistant enough with its powder charges to be as accurate as a fellow who weighs each charge and trickles it to perfection for each case you load, i have been loading for 20 years and have never seen a progressive load out shoot a single stage, i do agree it doesnt take long to load up a box or two though

Hi Yes you have the ols Rock Chucker i have loaded lots of ammo on one of those it was the first press i ever owned you can as you know load longer ammo but you have to place the projectile into the die while feeding it into the press for seating. I have loaded 375H&H with the old press and even 30-06 with long projectiles is a pain to seat with it will size all the cases you want but to do the ultra mag cases you will have to place the projectile into the seating die on the way in. I have upgraded to the Rock Chusker Supreme and it is a lot better. Also the RC Supreme is able to be converted to Left hand it is one of only a few that can help out a lefty it is not an issue to me but it is to some.

I have also loaded hundreds of thousands of rounds on Dillon presses comercialy and for match ammo they are fine but i do not use them for magnum cases as they DO spring more than a Rock Chucker or similar Redding press. The Dillon presses are only Alloy and defrm fairly easily when sizing a large case try sizing a case while seating ang seating a case on its own the diferences are there.

Cheers Bill
Australia

[ QUOTE ]
i would find it very had to believe that any progressive press can be consistant enough with its powder charges to be as accurate as a fellow who weighs each charge and trickles it to perfection for each case you load, i have been loading for 20 years and have never seen a progressive load out shoot a single stage, i do agree it doesnt take long to load up a box or two though

[/ QUOTE ]

The USA Palma team uses a Dillon 550. The expectation of the ammo is 1/2 moa at 900 yds!!

You need to believe it.

No Palma is limited to 308's with a maximum projectile weight of 156gr.

As i have stated i have loaded hundreds of thousands of rounds on Dillons and the MAgnum powder throwers are useless.

David Tubb and the US Palma team use a Prhomenthis powder thrower that is over a grand on the press. The 550 is also not fully progressive as you have to index it by hand and it will not take a case feeder a Quality single stage press or hand dies is all that is used for Benchrest Shooting shooting a MOA target is no real hassle but if you want to shoot under 2" elevation at 1000 yards the dillons will not cut the mustard. Also the Dillons are not to good with full length sizing extra large cases like an ultra mag case.

Cheers Bill
Australia

Dillon just came out with a case feeder for the 550, so it's now becoming a little more "true" progressive.

Depending on the powder I'm using, I will either use the Dillon powder measure or I'll use something else. Believe it or not, I really like the Lee powder measure for extruded type powders. It seems to work the best for me.

I have not set up my Dillon for magnum yet, but I have achieved 1/2 moa loads in .308 using my Dillon.

I also vote for the Rock Chucker Supreme. I load 22.250 up to 30-338 Lapua without any issues. Built to last a lifetime.

Frank D

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.