911.....Please help with a REDDING ULTRAMAG PRESS!

mindcrime

I have the excellent Redding UltraMag press, that has seen several years of hassle free usage. NOW I'M GETTING A LOUD SQUEAK, and decided to disassemble the press for a full cleaning and a healthy lubbing. I FOUND THE SQUEAK! It is most certainly coming from the right arm that runs inline, from the top of the press to the pivot point for the handle. It's tight, and would like to remove that arm (as well as the left side, while I'm at it).

PLEASE EDUCATE ME ON REMOVING the threaded collars, so I can completely remove the linkage arms to do the job RIGHT. I've owned the press for 15 years + and going, so I am still more than happy with it's performance and durability!

I can't even find the official manual in person, and I can't find any online information about it, I've had it so long. :)
THANKS SO MUCH IN ADVANCE!

Jeff

Ok, so I have removed the die, and the collar that allows bigger die bodies, and noticed that there is a HOLE entirely through the arms and through the press body itself. I can NOT, UNTHREAD the pivot points on the arms however. PLEASE HELP!?!

You might shoot the folks at Redding an email and ask them. They have always been responsive to my questions.

I would use a good penetrating lubricant like Marvel Mystery Oil or 3-in-One oil and work it in from both side of the pin.

I have two Ultramags and have been using them for many years without issue but I service my presses on a regular basis. The only way I would consider removing the pins is if the bar were frozen to the pin and the pin was moving in the casting.

Yeah, I was going to call them tomorrow. The upper threaded pin isn't rotating, but the arm is TIGHT! I resized the 223 brass with the arm in question unattached, which isn't the best idea, however the Imperial Sizing Wax made it smooth. I do not want to seat bullets without both arms though, due to possible concentricity issues. THANKS for the Marvel Mystery Oil tip. I'll give it a shot, I have been using Shooter's Choice grease.

Ps. I did find a few small shavings on that one side, inside the threaded collar.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts