Help needed with Redding FL Die and Co-Ax Press

Mc Fraser

Hello All,
I have a brand new, cleaned with bore cleaner and cloth Redding Type S Competition die with a 332 bushing for 300 PRC, a Co-Ax press and brand new ADG brass.
The die is setup in the press following the Redding guidelines, touching the shell holder jaws. The brass was dipped in Redding
Question:
1. Why is the die (bushing) only neck sizing half of the neck?
2. Is there are way to size the neck all the way down?
TIA

Attachments

• IMG_6950.JPG
    IMG_6950.JPG
    887.3 KB · Views: 158
I'm going off of memory but i have redding dies and a coax. I think it is how tightly you screw down the bushing - you want some wiggle so it can self align, but try tightening the contraption that you take out to put the bushing in.

If you shake the die you can hear how much the bushing is moving. Tighten it all the way down and it doesn't move. Loosen it from there and use that as a reference point.

I'm going off of memory but i have redding dies and a coax. I think it is how tightly you screw down the bushing - you want some wiggle so it can self align, but try tightening the contraption that you take out to put the bushing in.

If you shake the die you can hear how much the bushing is moving. Tighten it all the way down and it doesn't move. Loosen it from there and use that as a reference point.
Did that, it's at the lowest point.

The only other thing I can think is that the case isn't going deep enough into the die. You may need to take the bushing out and get the proper shoulder bump, then put the bushing back in and adjust how tight the bushing is to control how much of the neck is sized.

Are you getting any shoulder bump now?

The only other thing I can think is that the case isn't going deep enough into the die. You may need to take the bushing out and get the proper shoulder bump, then put the bushing back in and adjust how tight the bushing is to control how much of the neck is sized.

Are you getting any shoulder bump now?
I can't push the bushing down anymore, it sits at its lowest point in the die.

The only other thing I can think is that the case isn't going deep enough into the die
This.
I can't push the bushing down anymore, it sits at its lowest point in the die.
If the shoulder is being bumped, then its a die problem.
Read tne instructions again. Adjust the bushing stop.
20201015_192156.jpg

My S fl die sizes all but the last 1/16" of the neck.

Last edited:
This.

If the shoulder is being bumped, then its a die problem.
Read tne instructions again. Adjust the bushing stop. View attachment 219694

My S fl die sizes all but the last 1/16" of the neck.

I think I know what I'm doing wrong, when I removed the decapping rod I didn't realize I moved the bushing stop. I did that because I want to use an expander mandrel as a final step. It works now. Thanks.

I just watched this video last night...the "S" in Redding Type S is for Speedy...this guy. Sounds like you already got your problem figured out but it's an interesting watch anyway if you got the time...

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.