Forster co-ax and redding die setup problem

bigbulls

What am I doing wrong, it seems the die is not long enough. 30 Nosler, 215 Bergers trying to load to an oal of 3.600"+ or more but to get the die to slightly cam over for consistent seating and backing the dial as far as I can without it coming off the Oring I can only get to 3.560". am I missing something or are these dies only made for sami specs or do I have to deal with inconsistent seating and leave the die up a little higher,(no cam over), or is there a die that has more inside length?

My apologies that stem is on the forester dies. Haven't used Redding in awhile I swapped all my seaters to forester but if I'm not mistaken u can take the die apart and make the same crude adjustment

Try adjusting the seating plug out with the allen slot in the top. I do not cam over my redding dies and have not problem getting .001 runout.

Thanks, I did run the stem allen out as far as I can. I will try it without the cam over, I've always had great luck with other calibers with slight cam over because the Forster has slight movement in the ring slot even using there rings.

The Forster is supposed to have some play so the case self aligns. I would back the die out, I don't think you should cam over with a seating die.

Agree, there is no "cam over" with the seating dies. Sounds like you are using the stock Forester set up and have not converted to shell holders, I don't know how you get "cam over" with that set up. And the play in the die helps big time with alignment and run out.

If you are full length sizing in a Forester Co-Ax press, then yes you want some cam over. BUT, for seating bullets, you don't. You can back the die up as far as you need to to get the correct seating depth. It's a much different arrangement with the Co-Ax than say an RCBS press. The beauty of the Co-Ax is the floating dies align smoothly. I know your cartridge is a long one so the die may look funny being so far up so you can bring the seating stem down, but it works. If I'm really, really crazy about a perfect seat, I will start the bullet, back up, turn a 1/4, seat some more and repeat. But you don't have to be that anal. This press will do a fine job for ya. Oh, and once you have the magic depth, lock that ring!

like others have said, never cam over a seating die. I have a forester press and what I do is put a nickel on top of the shell holder, run the press to the top then screw the seating die down till it touches, has been working great for me for about 15 years with my press. Maybe others will have a better idea for you, but that works great for me. Good luck

like others have said, never cam over a seating die. I have a forester press and what I do is put a nickel on top of the shell holder, run the press to the top then screw the seating die down till it touches, has been working great for me for about 15 years with my press. Maybe others will have a better idea for you, but that works great for me. Good luck
What you are saying here about the nickel (.077 thousandths thick) being used as a spacer, what do you do about bumping the neck back?

I don't. Unless you are trying to crimp your bullets there is no need to that I know of. I load mostly for hunting not F class shooting but I do have some hunting rifles that will shoot 3" groups at 800 soooo I'm not going to worry about bumping the neck

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.