New Forster Co-ax

^^^ This.

You can order 12 packs or individual lock rings directly from Forster. I really wanted to utilize all of my other lock rings, but I have found so much simpler and precise by swapping every other branded lock ring to the Forsters, which were designed to work flawlessly with the Coax.
+1
What I found makes the difference is the OD of the locking ring. The wider the better. Forster (Aluminum) or Redding (Steel) for me.
The Hornady rings are nice, but the flats on each side of them, when aligned with the die slot on the Co-Ax, don't provide enough support shoulder, IMO.
RCBS lock rings have always been meh. Lee dies perform well, but their rings are junk.

+1
What I found makes the difference is the OD of the locking ring. The wider the better. Forster (Aluminum) or Redding (Steel) for me.
The Hornady rings are nice, but the flats on each side of them, when aligned with the die slot on the Co-Ax, don't provide enough support shoulder, IMO.
RCBS lock rings have always been meh. Lee dies perform well, but their rings are junk.
Absolutely agree, the wider ring distributes the force when sizing. I only use Forster lock rings on sizing dies or the Whidden Click ring designed for the Co Ax

I've made a reloading bench by ripping 2x10's and gluing up the strips in butcher block configuration 2" thick. I then routed out a 10"x10" square 1" deep. I butcher block laminated 1" thick plates to fit, mounted my presses and my Hornady case prep center to them. 4 bolts go through the plates into inserts in the bench top. I have an RCBS RC that I leave my 338LM dies in, and a Lyman T-mag with 2 extra turrets. Only takes about 30 seconds to switch out a turret, the presses, or the trimmer. Also have a Lee turret for pistol cartridges. But, after reading the 2019 multi-page thread on the Forster Co-ax, I've been considering getting one of them. Well, a while back I see Midsouth had them in stock and thought what the heck! Ordered one. Got it set up and have been trying it on a few calibers. After trying the Forster I believe it will be my main press. Obviously I don't reload some of the calibers very often, but I'd still need AT LEAST 1 more extra turret and I'd probably still have some left over dies then. I've really liked the Lyman but the Co-ax is just so simple. Looks like I'll keep the RCBS and sell the Lyman/turrets!

So, I have a few Lee collet dies and they use the lock collar with the rubber O-ring keeper. Now, they'll fit in the Co-ax, although snuggly, sitting on the rubber O-ring. Do you Lee die users change out the lock rings on the Lee's? Or do you feel that there's enough float with the O-ring not to cause any alignment issues?
You told us about building your loading bench, but forgot to attach pictures.

By eliminating the shell holder and floating the dies, runout is greatly reduced. The design helps eliminate side motion of the action as well.
So, if you are looking for the best, most consistent and accurate cartridge possible, it is an important part of the process. The next step up is to go to the LE Wilson style press.

Yeah, I would like to see the bench.

As for the Forster presses themselves.
I have toyed with this for years as I have a Hornady lock N load but often thought of getting a Coax.

Do people think the Forster Coax has much more advantage, is it worth the money?
I've been loading on a Lee 4 hole turret press for 21yrs. I was asked about loading 338 Lapua. I researched a variety of presses that would handle the 338 loading. I think the CO-AX is gonna give my 21yr old Lee some competition. I like the Lee so much due to the fast changes of pre set dies in separate turrets swapped in and out between calibers. The CO-AX seems to line up with this same pre set notion and that floating, universal shell holder has me colored impressed.

Yeah, I would like to see the bench.

As for the Forster presses themselves.
I have toyed with this for years as I have a Hornady lock N load but often thought of getting a Coax.

Do people think the Forster Coax has much more advantage, is it worth the money?
Besides the precision of the coax, it has a lot of leverage which means it's easy on the arm and wrist.

Besides the precision of the coax, it has a lot of leverage which means it's easy on the arm and wrist.

Thanks all,

It's the precision I'm interested in.

I'm not a precision shooter but I reload and in always looking to learn and improve.

I've read a lot on Forster presses.

They are about $800 on Australia and I'm toying if I can justify the expense given I have a press. The price seems fair for the Aussie distributor etc but I always want something , a new scope, another rifle better dies.

Can any say with any certainty that I will see an improvement in my groups of all I change is the press? Same loads, rifle, shooter (Disregarding practice, skills etc)

This is the sticking point for me, how much improvement could I hope for if I use a Forster over my Hornady?

I shoot ok but I'm not competitive but in the casual comp I shoot most are using a target rifle while I'm using a factory varmint rifle etc.

Thanks all,

It's the precision I'm interested in.

I'm not a precision shooter but I reload and in always looking to learn and improve.

I've read a lot on Forster presses.

They are about $800 on Australia and I'm toying if I can justify the expense given I have a press. The price seems fair for the Aussie distributor etc but I always want something , a new scope, another rifle better dies.

Can any say with any certainty that I will see an improvement in my groups of all I change is the press? Same loads, rifle, shooter (Disregarding practice, skills etc)

This is the sticking point for me, how much improvement could I hope for if I use a Forster over my Hornady?

I shoot ok but I'm not competitive but in the casual comp I shoot most are using a target rifle while I'm using a factory varmint rifle etc.
With your current setup, do you measure runout, if so, how much are you seeing with your current setup? The only advantage of the CO-AX is the ease to change out dies and no shell holder required. Is that worth the 800.00 you mentioned? On the run out, Ultimate Reloader tested the CO-AX along with 15 other presses and the total runout he experienced was .002 to .0025, will that change your POI that you can notice? Just something to think about, if I was just starting out and needed a press, I wouldn't hesitate on getting one or if the current setup you do not like for whatever reason. I wanted one and needed a new press when my old Lyman turret was changing my seating depth every couple of rounds. However, after waiting over eight months last year and none in stock anywhere, I ended up purchasing the Frankford Arsenal M Press, I like it, no issues for me and the die change out is quick. Good luck on whichever way you go, but just to change a press that has no issues, I personally wouldn't do it I would use the 800.00 on something else.

I don't currently measure runout and don't have the equipment.
The press and runout comparison is often in the same forums, threads etc.

I wonder if there is runout if the rifle straighten s or misaligns it as you chamber anyway.

Many variables, many opinions.

I talk myself into it then out of it.

The money may well be better used elsewhere (other shooting stuff) bit, it does seem like a cool press.

I've made a reloading bench by ripping 2x10's and gluing up the strips in butcher block configuration 2" thick. I then routed out a 10"x10" square 1" deep. I butcher block laminated 1" thick plates to fit, mounted my presses and my Hornady case prep center to them. 4 bolts go through the plates into inserts in the bench top. I have an RCBS RC that I leave my 338LM dies in, and a Lyman T-mag with 2 extra turrets. Only takes about 30 seconds to switch out a turret, the presses, or the trimmer. Also have a Lee turret for pistol cartridges. But, after reading the 2019 multi-page thread on the Forster Co-ax, I've been considering getting one of them. Well, a while back I see Midsouth had them in stock and thought what the heck! Ordered one. Got it set up and have been trying it on a few calibers. After trying the Forster I believe it will be my main press. Obviously I don't reload some of the calibers very often, but I'd still need AT LEAST 1 more extra turret and I'd probably still have some left over dies then. I've really liked the Lyman but the Co-ax is just so simple. Looks like I'll keep the RCBS and sell the Lyman/turrets!

So, I have a few Lee collet dies and they use the lock collar with the rubber O-ring keeper. Now, they'll fit in the Co-ax, although snuggly, sitting on the rubber O-ring. Do you Lee die users change out the lock rings on the Lee's? Or do you feel that there's enough float with the O-ring not to cause any alignment issues?
Swap them, I did and have had no problems for the last 15 years. The Forester set screws work great and hold tolerances to within 0.0001. Got to love the Co-ax for sure. It is my go to for precise rifle reloads but I admit my Dillon 650 handles the pistol and grandkids 223 needs. Pumps out more than acceptable loads. Another very useful bit of advice is to install inline fabs. Light kit, handle, side linkages. (Easy access for sure) and riser. In line did not pay me, I just bought them and they are quality products that work well. LoL

Swap them, I did and have had no problems for the last 15 years. The Forester set screws work great and hold tolerances to within 0.0001. Got to love the Co-ax for sure. It is my go to for precise rifle reloads but I admit my Dillon 650 handles the pistol and grandkids 223 needs. Pumps out more than acceptable loads. Another very useful bit of advice is to install inline fabs. Light kit, handle, side linkages. (Easy access for sure) and riser. In line did not pay me, I just bought them and they are quality products that work well. LoL
How do you like that riser? It seems like it would set things up too high to me. Especially if you like to sit while reloading.