Forster co-ax worth it?

I use the co-ax to neck-up and resize 338 Edge brass, I use the chucker to seat bullets. The Rock Chucker gives me a better feel for neck tension. Necking up 338 Edge brass is effortless in the Forster press.

Randy

I seat all of my bullets with Wilson dies on an arbor press so I don't hurt my fingers. All of my"Bonanza" and Redding seaters I gave away because the Wilson system is a better way to seat bullets.

The Coax press is great for sizing cases.
* probably no better press for sizing
I have an RCBS press but it relys on shellholders.
* I hate shell holders because they induce any built in machining error to the overall resizing operation.

The only thing that Coax press will not do more accurately than threaded presses is use Lee "Factory Crimp" die on the 375 H&H bullets. I have sucessfully used the Lee Collet neck size dies with Coax press from 22-2250 Ackley to 300 Ultra Mag.
* never tried a Lee crimp die, as I've heard nothing good about them, and most bullet manufacturers warn against using them. I've have no good luck with the Lee collet dies so far. The necks on my .223, and 22-250 cases won't fit the dies well.

The Coax press does not have much room for the Micrometer seating dies in the Ultra Mags or 30-378 Weatherby and the like. The Forster dies will fit in the calibers they come in. Again I prefer the Wilson seaters for calibers they cover. Even better if you can get your Riflesmith to ream the Wilson seater to match your chamber.
* I see roughly five tenths TIR difference between the Forster seaters and the Wilson seaters. Not a lot when your already down to about .0013" TIR with the Forster anyway. Now what you can do with the Forster seater is to take it apart, and buy a smaller sleeve. Then run the chamber reamer thru that sleeve. I recently did this with a 22-250 sleeve to ream it out to 6/250AI. The sleeves look to be generic 8620 steel (maybe even CRS), and are very easy to ream. Plus they sell just about every part of their dies separately.

gary

I taught my Forster press to wax my car, gut a deer and bring me a beer on command. On a good day it will even rustle up loose women. What more can you ask for?

"Necking up 338 Edge brass is effortless in the Forster press."

You make me curious; do you find that difficult to do on the RC?

Yes I have necked up 338 brass in a Rock Chucker, the Forster co-ax is much easier to neck up big cases.

Randy

I have a question regarding the primer seating on this press.

I am currently using a RCBS Rock Chucker with the RCBS Auto Primer Feeder Combo on it. I really like how I can load up to 100 primers in the primer tube and the primers are then automatically feed in to the seating apparatus.

For those of who own a Foster Co-Ax Press is it a "pain in the ***" on the Foster Co-Ax Press to manually finger place each primer on the seating apparatus then seat it with the press?

Or do the majority of you use a separate hand primer tool to seat the primers?

Thanks!

"... do the majority of you use a separate hand primer too to seat the primers?"

I don't have a clue what the majority or minority do but I've happily used a Lee AutoPrime handtool for about 15 years. I don't care at all for my RC 2 tube primer feeder but my very old Lyman Spar-T turret press has an excellant tube primer feeder that I just haven't used since I got my hand primer. I do prefer an auto-feeder of some kind because I REALLY don't like to hand feed them one at a time.

I found the general ergonomics of using the Coax to be awkward but I didn't even try to seat primers on it.

I am currently using a RCBS Rock Chucker with the RCBS Auto Primer Feeder Combo on it. I really like how I can load up to 100 primers in the primer tube and the primers are then automatically feed in to the seating apparatus.

For those of who own a Foster Co-Ax Press is it a "pain in the ***" on the Foster Co-Ax Press to manually finger place each primer on the seating apparatus then seat it with the press?

Thanks!

not really all that bad. I have the old style, and you simply drop the primer in the hole of the ram on the priming device. Once you learn the rhythm, you back off the ram just enough to load the case and the primer. The newer one doesn't use the shell holder, but uses a plate that is kind of like the sliding jaws. I find it far more accurate in seating depth than most hand held ones. Mine seats primers under the face .0045" +/-.0005" no matter how hard or how soft you push the ram. About 200% better than the cheap ones that they often palm off on you as the greatest. But if you want a hand held device, look no further than the K&M or the Sinclair as the rest are toys
gary

Thanks!

I use the primer seater on the Co-Ax, and the only time I've ever used a hand primer tool was when I accidentally had a primer jam in the Co-Ax and I had to order a new part for it. I borrowed a hand primer from a friend and hated it, as it seemed like every primer fit differently vs the exact repeatability of the Forster.

I use the primer seater on the Co-Ax, and the only time I've ever used a hand primer tool was when I accidentally had a primer jam in the Co-Ax and I had to order a new part for it. I borrowed a hand primer from a friend and hated it, as it seemed like every primer fit differently vs the exact repeatability of the Forster.

I've probably used ten or twelve different tools, and own four or five plus the one on the press. The first one was the old RCBS tool, and it was a mess on a good day. Somewhere in there I was given a Lee and it was OK, but didn't like Federal primers very well. Later I got a Hornaday, and it wasn't what I wanted. Then RCBS did a newer one that was better than the old one, but still sucked. Then got the newer redesigned Lee, It was better. But while this was going on I bought a Sinclair, and this was the best hand priming tool I've ever used. But my beat up hands had issues with it. (never the tool's fault). Then the folks over in Fairland talked me into the K&M, and it is heaven.

Now one thing I disliked about the Sinclair and the K&M was the Lee Auto-prime shell holders, but can also see that they are the best part of the design.
The Forster design is the best I've seen for making sure the seating depth is consistent under the face. Important when shooting thru an AR platform. These days I mostly do hand gun stuff with the Forster, but have been known to do a couple hundred .223 cases in a setting.

I kind of like the bench mount Forster setup better than the press mounted one, and the bench mounted RCBS looks nice. Have no idea if it is as consistent as the Forster though.

As for the press, one only needs to see what a used one is worth on Ebay. I saw a well used B2 going for more than $275. That press was at least 30 years old! He probably paid about $125 for it! Can't get there with the off brands
gary

Stay with forster cant go wrong. The co ax press was the first press i bought. I have tightened groups tremendously.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.