Powder-what is a good price?

Maybe I missed the explosion caused by powder or primers during shipment so if any of you have information about these explosions please link the article so I can read it.
Powder by itself isn't explosive under ordinary conditions, but if it's in a shipment that catches on fire for other reasons, things can get nasty. Try throwing even a 1 pound plastic bottle of the stuff into you chiminea and see what happens. I expect that the fee is imposed to help offset the cost of cleaning up after spills or other incidents. Also it likely helps reduce insurance premiums for carriers.

OTOH it's hard to imagine a simple scenario where a single primer in a sealed case of 5000 could could be hit hard enough to set it off.

I find myself purchasing powder and primers when I see them come up for sale. An example is this morning when Midway had H1000 and Retumbo available. I got a couple of pounds of H1000 by racing through the order process. By the time you are done you just paid $65 per pound after shipping, Hazmat, and tax. I am not even sure what I'm going to use it for yet. Did the same thing last week on primers and paid way too much when I saw BR2 LRP's come up at Natchez. My local reloading store is 30 miles from my house. They rarely have anything I want in stock and are putting very high prices on what they do have. I've got to stop this panic/opportunity buying thing. I spend more time buying stuff than I do shooting these days. Heck, now I need to buy/build another rifle to maximize the performance of some of the components.
You are right… I have found myself doing the same thing over the last 24 months, I finally had to say enough! I have enough to last a while now and felt like I was just contributing to the problem. Once enough ppl get on board with that the availability of stuff will stabilize, but unfortunately this will be the new price point. The big thing is ppl need to stop spending the outrageous GunBroker prices, this only reinforces all the LGS to hold their products back and sell them on the auction sites, instead of putting the product on their shelf's.

Just depends on the circumstances. Case in point - last year I had bought a custom rifle second-hand. It would not shoot better than 1-1/2" with load data that came with it. I contacted the maker and got their load data - as you can imagine I had neither bullets or powder it required. A good gent here offered to sell me a few pounds of powder at a good price if I could meet him to get it. About 3 hour drive one-way. We met and made the exchange. I got home and loaded some according to the maker's load data - Presto! instantly groups were in the .3s'. All said - fuel, time & powder - I probably would up with $75 per pound in it.

For the difference in how the rifle shot - I'd gladly do/pay it again.

Don't get me started haha….put simply the greater Toronto area has way too much of a say about how the rest of us would like to live. It's never actually gonna happen I don't think but the west has been murmuring about separation for a while and it's not just a fringe minority anymore. We value such un-liberal ideals as personal autonomy, responsibility, and independence from government meddling in our private affairs, working hard, and minding our business 🤣. I agree you guys switch it up from time to time haha, but
I'm sure everyone on this forum regardless of where they're from can relate to feeling like voting masses in large urban centres are in fact a threat to the possibility of them just living their lives as they see fit, leaving others alone and being left alone in return. That's the dream right there. I hope not at all to sound irreverent…in "the Golden rule" when Jesus says do unto others as you would have others do unto you - for me a part of that is interpreted as "just leave them be, let them go about their lives, it's their life to live" Because that's certainly what I would have others do unto me.

Did you know that back in the days of confederation it was originally supposed to be that Alberta, Saskatchewan, and Manitoba were supposed to be one large western province called Buffalo? The powers that be in Ottawa nixed that idea in its infancy: too much a threat, too much power. Split it up into smaller easier to control provinces. Otherwise things might not ALWAYS go the way they decided it should. And that has largely been the relationship between "the west" and Ottawa in Canada throughout its history.
Democracy in action. That's why we are SUPPOSED to be a Republic. They Canadians I know all say "City People make all the rules." They also say; "Those rules are for City People." One of my favorite things about them is don't ever ask anything about someone else. They will just say ask them yourself. I don't speak for them. They do not talk behind other people's back. They will become rude if you ask again. I love that. Fine people.

Maybe I missed the explosion caused by powder or primers during shipment so if any of you have information about these explosions please link the article so I can read it.
You don't generally hear about imaginary things in the news. Well, except for anything out of the government, that is.

I just bought a lb of Varget today at LGS, $46.99, and lb of PP300MP for $36.99. There are gun shops out there that are not taking advantage of their customers. So if a small LGS can do this, form your own opinion on stores you purchase from.

Out of curiosity has anyone seen any of the powders in the Alliant Reloader # series?

I've been looking around for Reloader 15 and 25 for...forever. None to be found anywhere.
rl powders are pretty much off the map right now... I won't do any load development with them at all lately... Vit powder has for some reason been available, with IMR being somewhat available but pricy considering a lot of it is 70 year old technology...
I'm not playing the Varget/ retumbo game like some are either... I've got Retumbo and I frankly don't use it that much. I've actually gotten back into mil-surp a bit and I'm doing things like 4895 in a 7-08. I've got a couple kegs of wc872 I'll work up loads with this year too...

The price u'r willing to pay is a good price.

This will differ from individual to individual. Sorry, no simple or definitive answer.

Powder by itself isn't explosive under ordinary conditions, but if it's in a shipment that catches on fire for other reasons, things can get nasty. Try throwing even a 1 pound plastic bottle of the stuff into you chiminea and see what happens. I expect that the fee is imposed to help offset the cost of cleaning up after spills or other incidents. Also it likely helps reduce insurance premiums for carriers.

OTOH it's hard to imagine a simple scenario where a single primer in a sealed case of 5000 could could be hit hard enough to set it off.
But its easy to imagine the Government keeping a record of all hazmat shipments and then keeping a list of those who have bought reloading components. Those are the real nasty guys that can weather an ammunition shortage.