Powder-what is a good price?

Supply and demand rule whether we like it or not. If the hoarders would stop it, the supply would catch up with demand and prices would drop and the shelves would be full. As others have noted above, that does not take into account the regular inflation going into it. If you consider that commodities have risen at a rate of a bout 11% lately, and take $36 x 1.11, the minimum should be $40/lb. However, that factor does not represent specific commodities. If you consider oil: In 2019 before the pandemic, oil was $64/barrel. Latest I heard was $111/barrel lately. That is a 73% increase! And since the price of energy affects EVERTHING especially raw materials, I would expect the new "norm" for powder to be in the $45- $65 range.

There is a place by me that posts every Friday if they have anything. It been a year since they had any primers but they were $35 /1000 . Here is the list from 2 weeks ago.
Screenshot_20220421-131200_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:
Supply and demand rule whether we like it or not. If the hoarders would stop it, the supply would catch up with demand and prices would drop and the shelves would be full. As others have noted above, that does not take into account the regular inflation going into it. If you consider that commodities have risen at a rate of a bout 11% lately, and take $36 x 1.11, the minimum should be $40/lb. However, that factor does not represent specific commodities. If you consider oil: In 2019 before the pandemic, oil was $64/barrel. Latest I heard was $111/barrel lately. That is a 73% increase! And since the price of energy affects EVERTHING especially raw materials, I would expect the new "norm" for powder to be in the $45- $65 range.

Pretty much everything that has gone up like shooting supplies, food, vehicles, housing, rent etc. will likely stay there or close to there even after the supply issues have abated.
That could depend on if the current idiot in the WH loses the House and Senate, if he does he'll be a lame duck after only 2 years.

That could depend on if the current idiot in the WH loses the House and Senate, if he does he'll be a lame duck after only 2 years.
Prices were rising long before the current administration took office but I guess everybody has to blame it on somebody

The reason I posted that list was to show its not all the manufacturers fault. The LGS is most to blame. Here is the list from today . These people truly support there cutomes. And l thank them for that.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220422-202815_Drive.jpg
    Screenshot_20220422-202815_Drive.jpg
    115.4 KB · Views: 49
So what is a good price? What is the "new norm"? The other day I stopped at a local gun store and couldn't believe my eyes! They had Varget, something I have been looking for for a year or more, at $46.95/lb. Does anyone think this is to high? or the new norm? One pound limit, but that's all I really needed.
I saw a sticker on the shelf for Varget for $50/lb. last weekend, wasn't any on the shelf though. Got 3 lbs. before the crunch so I'll wait until it comes down, I'm not paying $50 per pound.

So which of the big sellers like Grafs, Midway, Powder Valley, etc. would be your fairly priced sellers?
Personally, I have no idea, I've never bought powder from any of them, because there was always powder and primers available locally, but not bullets to reload, so I bought bullets at gun shows. I always said a hazmat fee was a brilliant solution looking for a problem invented by greedy people.

Personally, I have no idea, I've never bought powder from any of them, because there was always powder and primers available locally, but not bullets to reload, so I bought bullets at gun shows. I always said a hazmat fee was a brilliant solution looking for a problem invented by greedy people.
Maybe I missed the explosion caused by powder or primers during shipment so if any of you have information about these explosions please link the article so I can read it.