Powder-what is a good price?

Glenn Tullius

So what is a good price? What is the "new norm"? The other day I stopped at a local gun store and couldn't believe my eyes! They had Varget, something I have been looking for for a year or more, at $46.95/lb. Does anyone think this is to high? or the new norm? One pound limit, but that's all I really needed.

So what is a good price? What is the "new norm"? The other day I stopped at a local gun store and couldn't believe my eyes! They had Varget, something I have been looking for for a year or more, at $46.95/lb. Does anyone think this is to high? or the new norm? One pound limit, but that's all I really needed.
" IF" you need it, buy it because it will not last long.The norm is ~$40-$50 and up or what you are willing and able to pay.

I Paid $50.00 ( no Tax, ship, or Haz, etc. ) for, a couple of Pounds of Powder, Locally, to Fill in ( Blend in with ) my StaBall & IMR 7828, "collection".
I made SURE that, I had enough, Powder / Primers, to "cover" ALL of,.. my Hunting, Bullets in, 6.5 Creed and .270 WSM !
Paid $12 per hundred for, 2 Bx's of, F-215 pr's for same reason,.. to FEED my .270 WSM for, several, Years !

Last edited:
I don't see it going back down under $45ish for the 1# bottles of Hodgdon rifle powders we all like so much, and why would it? Everyone involved in the distribution and sale of powder now knows how much we will pay for it and how fast we will pay the new price when we see it available. VV will be a little higher. Alliant will be similar to Hodgdon for the Reloder series and probably higher for 26 and 33 if we even see it again anytime soon. I am surprised that the Ramshot powders haven't gone up as much as the others yet.

The "New Normal" on Components, will BE, sadly,.. HIGHER !
My, "stopping buying point's",.. $50. lb., on Powder, $75- $80 on, 1,000, Primers !
I seriously, "panicked" on those, F-215's a Year , ago @ $12.00 per H.,.. LOL
The Next week, they were $15.00,. NOW,. over, $20.00 ++ ???
Component Inflation, Will slow a bit, as the Hoarders get, stocked up ( Hopefully ! )

Last edited:
New normal. Yep, close to $50 but at least no hazmat fees
Not direct to you, but the guy you're buying from paid them and is passing that on to you. If you don't then someone else probably will. Kind of like not passing up a nice buck because it's not a real nice buck. If you don't take it, the guy over the next hill will.

Last edited:
I don't see it going back down under $45ish for the 1# bottles of Hodgdon rifle powders we all like so much, and why would it? Everyone involved in the distribution and sale of powder now knows how much we will pay for it and how fast we will pay the new price when we see it available. VV will be a little higher. Alliant will be similar to Hodgdon for the Reloder series and probably higher for 26 and 33 if we even see it again anytime soon. I am surprised that the Ramshot powders haven't gone up as much as the others yet.
Pretty much everything that has gone up like shooting supplies, food, vehicles, housing, rent etc. will likely stay there or close to there even after the supply issues have abated.