What is the max rang a .223 is good at for Varmint hunting

I recenly went ground squirrel hunting and the squirrels were out in the 350-500 yard range. I had tough time hitting squirrels out in the 400+ range with my Rem 700 LTR, 1-9 twist 223 using 55 grain Vmax bullets. My buddy who had a 223 Ackley Improve rifle with a 24" barrel and shooting 50 grain Vmax's was making a lot of hits in the 400 yard range.

I wished I would have taken my Remy 22-250 or my 243 to make hits in those ranges. The 223 is excellent caliber when shots are under 300 yards especially for small critters. Next year I will take rifles for all ranges.

the 9 twist should do ok with up to 69 gr smk's, personaly I like an 8 twist, I've taken 2 groundhogs at 550 yds with an 8 twist and 55 gr sp ammo. I think the record distance kill with a 223 was on a pd with a fast twist barrel shooting 75 gr a-max's, the shot was 1115 yds. its on the ssk industries web page.
An 8 or faster twist makes the lil mouse gun a viable 1k small varmint rifle. I've taken hundreds of chucks with a 223, my farthest was at 387 yds till I got a fast twist, the last good year I had chuck hunting I had 93% first shot kills on them from 375-500 yds. terminal performance is also much better with the fast twist barrels.
JS

I shoot a 223AI and it really works well I have killed prairy dogs at 650 yards but I would say it is most effective at ranges of 400 yards or less.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.