powder availability?

Once bitten twice shy.... I made a stupid mistake a few weeks ago. Hollands gunsmithing has powder available and I needed a quantity of Unique for pistol loads so I bought an 8 pounder (thats enough to last me for years btw).

Stupid me, I didn't ask the price, I presumed (wrongly) that because Unique is a cheaper to purchase powder, it would be reasonable. It wasn't. Hollands charged me almost 200 bucks for an 8 pound jug, thats even higher than Bruno's by a lot plus the haz mat plus the shipping. Hollands has no price on propellants on their website....for good reason now that I look back......:)

I was going to buy 2 MacMillan stocks from them as well, not now. I'm done with them. I called Hollands and expressed my displeasure and got the same response as I got from Amy Bruno, basically tough ****. I'll get my stocks from Len.

Buyer beware, Hollands is in the same class as Bruno's. I'll never buy anything from either again. Nothing. I was going to refuse the shipment but it's my fault, I didn't ask so I manned up and paid the bill.

I'll stick with reputable, honest dealing outlets like Powder Valley, Natchezz, Widners and Third Generation

I really despise gougers.

Once bitten twice shy.... I made a stupid mistake a few weeks ago. Hollands gunsmithing has powder available and I needed a quantity of Unique for pistol loads so I bought an 8 pounder (thats enough to last me for years btw).

Stupid me, I didn't ask the price, I presumed (wrongly) that because Unique is a cheaper to purchase powder, it would be reasonable. It wasn't. Hollands charged me almost 200 bucks for an 8 pound jug, thats even higher than Bruno's by a lot plus the haz mat plus the shipping. Hollands has no price on propellants on their website....for good reason now that I look back......:)

I was going to buy 2 MacMillan stocks from them as well, not now. I'm done with them. I called Hollands and expressed my displeasure and got the same response as I got from Amy Bruno, basically tough ****. I'll get my stocks from Len.

Buyer beware, Hollands is in the same class as Bruno's. I'll never buy anything from either again. Nothing. I was going to refuse the shipment but it's my fault, I didn't ask so I manned up and paid the bill.

I'll stick with reputable, honest dealing outlets like Powder Valley, Natchezz, Widners and Third Generation

I really despise gougers.

Thanks for the info flip!

I was just in my local supplier today and they had nearly everything a guy could ask for, except Berger 7mm 168 gr hunting VLD's, dangit. I did pick up some Blackhorn 209 to start some load development before muzzle loader season rolls around in December :D

found a gun shop about 50 miles from me that has everything in stock, primers, powder, brass and bullets. well worth a cpl hrs of my time going there!

Thanks for the info flip!

I was just in my local supplier today and they had nearly everything a guy could ask for, except Berger 7mm 168 gr hunting VLD's, dangit. I did pick up some Blackhorn 209 to start some load development before muzzle loader season rolls around in December :D

A pound of Blackhorn 209 will last a long time. I'm working on 2 years on the first pound I bought and I shoot my front stuffer a lot. Friday after this next one will find me and the CVA out in the woods on private property looking for a nice buck (hopefully). No doe tags to be had around here. They sold out in 30 minutes. My land up north of here, doe tags are unlimited and you can bag 5 per day, there is that many.

I sprinkled some 'angle dust' in various spots on the property this afternoon btw. Never been hunted. Been asking the property owner for a few years now and he finally allowed us to hunt, with some stipulations. One, we share the processed venison (no issue) and Two, we remove the entire animal(s) and dress them elsewhere, again, no issue. Seems his dog got very ill after finding and eating deer guts in the woods adjacent to his property.

Load development for me was just sighting it in. I started out at 100 grains (volume) and stayed there and kept the same pills, Barnes saboted TMZ's in 290 grain. I badly wanted Thor's but they were sold out of the 300's and I didn't want to drop to 250's. I figured the 300's would print about the same as the 290 TMZ's.

I'm getting a 3 shot group (including the first shot on a clean tube), in 2 holes at 100 yards. Thats good enough for my uses. The Nikon is zeroed at 100 as well..

One thing you don't want to do is play switch out on primer brands. Different primers have different flame output and that changes the way the powder burns, impacting the POI. I bought 1000 Federal 209 shotgun primers. That should be enough for a long while. I originally had one box of CCI ML primers and when I switched to the Federals, the POI changed dramatically. Live and learn.

I realize this all belongs on another forum/thread but I thought it important so I posted it.

Back to regular programming....

sidecarflip ,,,,,,

thanks for the heads-up and referrals ,,,,,, found the powder I needed this morning at Third Generation ,,,,,

sidecarflip ,,,,,,

thanks for the heads-up and referrals ,,,,,, found the powder I needed this morning at Third Generation ,,,,,

Good deal. It takes a bit of shopping but it is there (powder and components).

As usual I forget to add one or two honest, forthright vendors, Precision Reloading and Mid South. Being old has it's moments in the forgetful department.....

Anyway, my 'bucket list' of upfront, square dealing vendors with quick shipping and no ******** (I positively despise any retailer who plays smoke and mirrors) with their customers..... is...

Third Generation Shooting Supply
Graf & Sons
Powder Valley
Natchez Shooters Supply
Precision Reloading
Mid South Shooters Supply
Wideners Reloading and Shooting Supply

I've listed them in order top to bottom of ease of navigation on their respective websites. They are all quick to ship and upfront in their dealings with you, the customer.

Two offer reduced pricing to FFL holders (I'm one btw.), Graf and Sons and Wideners and both offer complete rifles. Wideners offers Military based firearms as well as C&R eligible automatic and semi automatic weapons.

Wideners website is tough to work with, however, they are the Hornady regional distributor and always have good deals on bulk pills and OFMB cases.

All 3 of the big stores in Reno are still getting only little dribs and drabs of various powders. They all used to have at least 15 powders in stock at any given time. I have not seen any Varget for 16 months. Standard rifle primers are back, but no Match primers. This is getting ridiculous.

Just today I read in a national news paper that Cabela's gun and ammo sales are really slumping. That is a sign maybe that those stock piling are getting filled up finally. Maybe some of this stuff will start to show up.

Just today I read in a national news paper that Cabela's gun and ammo sales are really slumping. That is a sign maybe that those stock piling are getting filled up finally. Maybe some of this stuff will start to show up.

I know the sportsman's warehouse in Loveland sells out of powder every week in a few hours. They only get about 50lb/week, but if you don't get there on Thursday, you are out of luck.

I know the sportsman's warehouse in Loveland sells out of powder every week in a few hours. They only get about 50lb/week, but if you don't get there on Thursday, you are out of luck.

Same in Reno, and they start lining up at 6 a.m.

Good news about Cabellas...Maybe a sign powder will last more than 1 hour on the shelves. And thanks for the list of tried & true vendors Sidecar!

One shop in Torrington, WY claims they can't get powder. The other one is gouging at $36/lb. In Scottsbluff, NE Western Trail Sports has just about everything for $10 a pound less with a pretty good selection. I bought three pounds of 4350 last week.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.