Porting a barrel instead of a muzzle brake?

As we get older and aligning three things (target, front site and rear site. Especially blade sites) gets harder, a very low power scope (1x to 5x power)works very well for me. they will focus very close, and on dangerous game rifles that have lots of recoil the need for the iron sites is negated.

The well made safari scopes have a generous eye relief needed if you don't want to muzzle brake the rifle or be able to take the brake off if needed. (Some outfitters will not let you use a brake).

So if you have a heavy recoiling rifle, have a good muzzle brake installed and if the front sight needs to go, so be it.

Here is a rifle that I built years ago with this set up and it shot one of the best groups of my life
with a 400 grain bullet. (.034 @ 100 yards) with out a brake, but may someday wear one.

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f28/416-buff-21003/

J E CUSTOM

Great looking rifle J E Custom! You probably don't use that one much for plinking though aey?

Here are some tests of various muzzle breaks,
very interesting results,
there are several sites with this type of results,

Muzzle Brake: Summary of Field Test Results - PrecisionRifleBlog.com

Tia,
Don

Thanks. I have actually read through that one and a few others. Great info!

I'm fairly limited on the brakes I can use for this one as the muzzle diameter is 45 caliber. Luckily there are at least a few choices around because of the popularity big bore AR15 cartridges.

I posted about the rifle on a different thread, but it's my new Encore in 460S&W Magnum. Stats online say the rifle weighs 4.5lbs, but my scale shows it's barely over 4lbs. The lightweight combined with it's a closed breach (unlike the revolver the cartridge was designed for), the recoil is significant.

Standing up shooting the rifle, it is OK for a number of shots. But I reload and want to try some different (heavier) bullets. Shooting this thing from a bench while doing load development is going to be unpleasant.

It's common practice with the TC rifles in this cartridge to mount a scope using 3 or 4 scope rings instead of 2; if that tells you anything... :)

engineer40,

I learned the hard way about the recoil from large caliber/large cartridge testing from the bench. It doesn't work for most people because of the screwed up shooting position in relationship to the rifle.

When I was building rifles which were meant for African big game, we always tested from a bench but man did it do a number on your body! I build a couple of variation on stands which allowed the shooter to stand up yet maintain a good steady hold on the rifle while test shooting. No wimpy cartridges here, .470 Nitro Express and the .585 Nyati were primary examples.

Nowadays though there are manufactured tripods which can help in the same way:

Lone Star Field Products (yes, expensive but good product)

Hog Saddle? by Shadow Tech LLC (needs a tripod)

BUSHNELL TACTICAL RIFLE TRIPOD SYSTEM: COLLAPSIBLE TRIPOD, GRIP-ACTION BALL HEAD, PICATINNY RAIL GRABBER, BAG

DCLW w/Flatop

There are others but you get the idea. I built one for myself out heavy wall aluminum tubing and machined supports on a bearing drive. If you're handy in the shop, you can solve most of this problem fairly easily.

Enjoy the process!

I have a plethora of rifles with muzzle brakes. I recently got a new rifle that recoils like crazy. It has a front sight that is too near the end of the barrel to have it threaded.

I've never owned any firearm that had a ported barrel. Do ported barrels help to reduce recoil as much as a brake could?

Does having the barrel ported have the potential to reduce accuracy?

Thanks for anyone's opinions!

You might try Magna-port. They do a Magna-brake now. Maybe they could work around your sight.

You might try Magna-port. They do a Magna-brake now. Maybe they could work around your sight.

Hmm, good suggestion. I didnt realize that.

I have payment on its way to Ross Schuler right now. For the positive reviews his brakes get, plus them only being like $35-$40, plus the fact he'll taper them to your measurments included in that cost... I have to give them a try. Ill report back!

Now Im just hoping that I can get the barrel threaded well before opening day, Nov 15. Ill need a couple weeks to shoot it.

I have a plethora of rifles with muzzle brakes. I recently got a new rifle that recoils like crazy. It has a front sight that is too near the end of the barrel to have it threaded.

I've never owned any firearm that had a ported barrel. Do ported barrels help to reduce recoil as much as a brake could?

Does having the barrel ported have the potential to reduce accuracy?

Thanks for anyone's opinions!
Porting works pretty well if it's done right but to do it you are giving up barrel length and really chopping the future resale value of it should you decide later it needs to go.

Hmm, good suggestion. I didnt realize that.

I have payment on its way to Ross Schuler right now. For the positive reviews his brakes get, plus them only being like $35-$40, plus the fact he'll taper them to your measurments included in that cost... I have to give them a try. Ill report back!

Now Im just hoping that I can get the barrel threaded well before opening day, Nov 15. Ill need a couple weeks to shoot it.
Ross is a solid guy who makes good product and works hard to go out of his way to make sure his customers feel well treated.

Unfortunately I've had such a great experience with all of the Northwest Precision MB's on all the rifles I've had them installed on so I just can't see switching horses in the middle of the river to send my business his way.

My biggest problem is once I get one in I still have at least a hundred mile drive each way to get a trusted gunsmith to install them.

Porting works pretty well if it's done right but to do it you are giving up barrel length and really chopping the future resale value of it should you decide later it needs to go.

When KEEPER was still in business I worked up a load for a .340 Weatherby. It averaged 3.212 feet per second with 210 grainers.

I disagree with the idea of resale value. If there were two rifles exactly like I want and one had good porting, it is the one I would go for.

My budy has a couple guns that he has had a local smith cut round port holes around the muzzle for recoil reduction. I'm not sure if there angled or not never really looked at them that close. I would think that any competent smith could do something to reduce felt recoil while leaving the front sight if desired or moving it back enough to thread the end of the barrel shouldn't be that big of deal.

All I can say is Wow... In regards to pure recoil reduction, braking this rifle helped more than all of my other rifles.

Although this rifle probably recoiled harder than any of my other rifles to start with. It is just so dang light weight.

No discomfort at all shooting now (as long as you double up on hearing protection). I'm thinking about taking it to some local indoor shooting ranges that allow "pistol caliber carbines". :D Just to scare the bejesus out of the people in the shooting stalls near me.

I'm toying with the idea of changing the Leupold scope out for a super light and small profile reflex red dot. This whole thing is just so handy, it's begging for a tiny sighting system of some kind.

It almost looks like an SBR doesn't it?

IMG_20161020_115357_213.jpg

IMG_20161020_115425_545.jpg

IMG_20161020_115453_270.jpg

I was originally concerned about the flukes looking horrible when I get the barrel threaded, but in person honestly it doesn't look bad at all. The top fluke stops just shy of the brake and it makes it appear like it is supposed to be that way.

I have only like $120 into the whole thing.
-Custom brake tapered for my barrel
-Cut and crown of the barrel
-Threading of the barrel
-Media blasting the brake to match the barrel

So far, very happy with the results for the money spent.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts