Barrel porting vs. muzzle break vs. suppressor ?

So we have muzzle brakes and suppressors and magna porting, but many of the muzzle devices found are called a "compensator", what category does a compensator fall in?

what category does a compensator fall in?
Comps are the tacti-cool name for brakes.

I don't usually wear ears when I'm bird hunting. What's another couple of shotgun pops compared to walking around with my ears sweating for 3 hours shouting "HUH?!?" every 15 seconds. I can hear a mouse fart with my Walker's electronics but somehow can't make out a voice ten feet away. But I only rifle hunt with a suppressor, and never shoot centerfire without a can, ears, or usually both (with double-bagged ears - foam plugs under muffs). The 50BMG will squeeze your eardrums even tripled up like that.

You could use a linier brake as so the noise stays forward or a radial/pepper pot style, but that kicks up debris when prone. There are a few clamp-on brakes, but are diameter limited on what you can use them on and need a straight/non-taper barrel (or enough length at the muzzle) for best straightness.

Why would an informed shooter NOT use hearing protection in the 21st century?

With electronic hearing protection available I think anyone who doesn't probably tends to be a Democrat.
I'm in no way a democrap, but only started using hearing protection the last 5 years (I'll be 58 in October). No hearing loss, but do have subjective hearing when I choose to. Almost 4 decades of 44mag (629), 5 decades of 264wm, shotgun and small caliber rifles without any hearing loss. Some people can get by with it longer than others.

So I am thinking about re-barreling one of my Ruger 77's to 300 Win. Mag. Since I am getting older, I also thought that should consider some kind of porting to mitigate some of the recoil. It would mostly be a hunting rifle although I would like to try some long range shooting as well.

What are the current ideas on porting vs. muzzle brakes vs. suppressors
I would suggest a suppressor if you are worried about your hearing. A muzzle break will definitely be out. Breaks increase the report of the rifle and therefore increase the noise. I have to wear ear plugs and ear muffs when I am around anyone with a muzzle break with I try to avoid at all cost. If your worried about recoil you may want to look at a change in rifles such as the (I know) 6.5 Creedmoor which has very littel recoil and is very accurate. Another low recoil weapon is the 6.5x55 Swede which i shoot. My children and my wife can shoot it. It has minimal recoil but you do have to be a reloader as ammo is scarce. I have No experience porting except with handguns. I have never seen a ported rifle or even if they are offered. I Suffer from tinnitus and that would be my suggestion for you.

My MSR has a screw-on muzzle brake, but my hunting arms (revolvers and rifles) have all been Mag-Na-Ported. The AR was loud to begin with and now it roars.
The dual trapezoidal porting on the handguns is dramatic. Of course, the noise and muzzle flash is increased.
My 15-year-old grandson was afraid to shoot Nana's 3-inch Colts King Cobra but was surprised at how controllable it was with full-power, heavy projectiles.
On the 375 H&Hs the recoil reduction is noticeable but not nearly as dramatic.
The folks at Mag-Na-Port know what they are about and their product works.
As to the slime...they can also smell ya coming!

I have a couple of muzzle brakes that were being marketed as compensators.
I would suggest that the terms "compensator" and "muzzle brake" are interchangeable in that they attenuate muzzle "flip" and/or recoil during firing.
Mag-Na-Porting is a form of compensator that does not change the barrel's profile and can never work loose.
The Briley choke tube is also a compensator for shotguns in that it directs escaping gasses to attenuate recoil and muzzle rise.

Brake or suppressor. Brake will reduce more recoil, but is the opposite of quite.

I really like suppressors for both.

Brake AND suppressor. I use the Griffin taper mount system, which allows choices of several variants of brakes. Suppressor screws right onto them and you get the benefits of both and lose the blast from the brake.

Comps are the tacti-cool name for brakes.

I don't usually wear ears when I'm bird hunting. What's another couple of shotgun pops compared to walking around with my ears sweating for 3 hours shouting "HUH?!?" every 15 seconds. I can hear a mouse fart with my Walker's electronics but somehow can't make out a voice ten feet away. But I only rifle hunt with a suppressor, and never shoot centerfire without a can, ears, or usually both (with double-bagged ears - foam plugs under muffs). The 50BMG will squeeze your eardrums even tripled up like that.
You should experience being backed up inside of a room shooting stuff outside with a 50bmg. The concussion alone shakes your brain and inner ear that it messes you up