Muzzle Brake vs. Ported Barrel with a twist

Randy,

Please don't take offense, I know you're very excited on your first gun and hunting opportunity but slow down :cool: ... have trust on your friends' that are trying to introduce you to gun ownership, shooting, and hunting.

Anyways, just for simplicity sake, there are two types of muzzle brakes.

1. Baffle type (ports on sides like similar to fish gills/others also have holes on top) - ex. Hollands, Muscle brake, APS painkiller, JP Enterprise, etc ..

2. Radial type (holes all around) - ex. Vais, gentry quite brake etc ...

On your picture, I cannot tell if the ports are on the barrel or an installed muzzle brake that blended very well into the barrel ... on either case, your picture would be a radial type.

There are plenty of muzzle brake designs with varying effectiveness claims. If you do a custom search (top right hand corner), you'll be overwhelmed with members sharing their personal preferences and experiences.

Here's just a small example >>> https://www.google.com/search?q=muz...hJeOGjAKOtIHABw&ved=0CFEQsAQ&biw=1280&bih=610

I too have been donating most of my meat (friends, the mission, MOW/community food bank, etc ...) for many years now.

Good luck!

Ed

Here is the question. I am going to purchase a 30" Shilen Savage Pre-fit Bull barrel chambered in .30-06. I will be shooting 208 -220gr bullets through it, and need some recoil reduction. This will be my long range hunting/target rifle, so I have been toying with the idea of adding a muzzle brake, or porting the barrel. Being a big "DIY" kind of guy, I will be doing all the machining work myself. I'm weighting the pro and cons of both, so please chime in. My porting work will essentially be an integrated muzzle brake (tank barrel style brake). Because I will be using it in situations where ear protection will not always be able to be used, I have come up with a simple solution I call my Sound Deflector. This device will essentially be a piece of pipe slipped over the ports, directing the sound forward. I am including a few pictures, so take a look at them and tell me what you think.

30inbblPorted_1.jpg

Here is the muzzle end of the barrel with the two 0.625x0.728 slots milled into the barrel
30inbblPortedSide_1.jpg

Here is a side view of the muzzle. (threads to the right of the first port are for the Sound Deflector)
30inbblPortedwithSD_1.jpg

Here is the Sound Deflector installed. Notice the gap between the barrel and the SD, as this allows the gases and sound to escape forward.

how myuch would you charge to mill those large holes in the muzzle?

blackpowder8bore, I have yet to build my first one, since some major changes in my life the past few years. I hope to have my shop built and equipment in place by the end of the summer. I have my mill, but no space to work. Check back with me in a few months if you are still interested.

blackpowder8bore, I have yet to build my first one, since some major changes in my life the past few years. I hope to have my shop built and equipment in place by the end of the summer. I have my mill, but no space to work. Check back with me in a few months if you are still interested.

I like the idea of that serious tank style port and i bet it would work better than a couple little holes. I prefer to get people to do my custom work rather than businesses because they put more into it. Instead of the forum, you can just email me at blackpowder8bore at mail dot com when youre up and running. i appreciate it.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.